Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Black screen with blinking white cursur on boot up

• Please log in to reply

case6000

case6000

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been dealing with this problem for a long time and it has finally come to the point were i am unable to even log on. Instantly after i push the boot button a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner appears. I can't use my mouse or my keyboard, The only button that works is the power button.

I am running Windows XP
Hard drive:160GB
Video card:ATI Radeon HD 4670
please help

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Welcome to geeks to go

I will try to help you.
To recap and understand the problem, the only thing you get immediately after pushing the power button is the black screen and cursor?

That means you are not getting the bios (basic input output screen). This is what tells the computer how to start. Since this is embedded in memory on the board, I would fust suspect a main board problem.

Do you feel comfortable in removing the side to the computer (assuming this is a desktop)?
If so, lets reset the bios by removing the battery. Remove the power from the unit.
The battery is small and circular like a watch battery. carefully remove it paying attention to how it came out. leave out for about 5 mins.
Place it back in and see what happens.

case6000

case6000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There is no way that is it. We've replaced the battery and the black screen with the cursor still appears.
and yes the monitor emediatley shows the black screen.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Well then, have you tried another monitor?
What color is the monitor power light?
Is it yellow or green?

Is the keyboard and mouse PS2 or USB?
Do the keyboard lights flash at startup?
Do you hear/ see any fans or drives trying to start?
Do you get any light flash on your CD drives indicating bios is looking for them?

The power supply could also be bad. Not giving the board the proper power/ or any power.
Is the fan to the power supply on?
Can you try replacing the power supply

Also can you give us more specs.
What is the brand of computer/ Dell, HP, gateway, home built?
What are the specs on the power supply? manufacturer and wattage?

Please answer these questions to allow us to understand more.

case6000

case6000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
-Well when i turn the pc on it seems to turn green. which i know means it is on.

-Both my keyboard and mouse are USB, and neither of them light up. they are completely useless when i turn the pc on.

-I did notice the CD drive lights flash a couple of times and then they stop(I have two CD drives and no floppy drive). and i also see, right above the power button, numbers that light up. Theres a 1,2, and a 3. in a row.

-I already tried switching the power supply, it didn't help. Also i have opened the case and all the fans are working.

-I am not sure about wattage, but the manufacturer in DELL
it is a DIMENSION E510
-Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 2002 service pack 3
-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz 2.99GHz, 1.50GB of RAM.

The only things that we have changed since we bought it is a video card like a month after we bought it. A new stick of RAM(1GB) to add to the two 512mb sticks that the computer came with. And then recently we got a newer Video card(that i mentioned in my first post), but that didn't cause any conflicts.

This is all the info i can really give you at the moment without the computer.

Hope it helps

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
While I do some more research on this, there are a couple things.
Right now I am leaning towards a video card issue.

The monitor light will be yellow if it has power.
The monitor light being green means it is receiving a signal from the computer.
Does the light stay green?

The CD lights flashing indicate the bios is looking for devices on start up.

The lights 1,2,3 could possibly indicate something for us. They are DElls diagnostic lights.

Not sure about the USB mouse and keyboard.
Does this have any PS2 ports for the older type mouse and keyboard?
If so do you have any to try?

Can you get into safe mode?
Tap the F8 key on start up.
Safe mode will load all basic drivers including video. The display will look funky. Do not worry. We want to see if you get to the OS.

EDIT: There should be 4 diagnostic lights. If light 1,2, and 3 are lit, it means a failure. It indicates something along the lines of trying to boot, but can't.

Check the cables and reseat the power and data cables to the drives and boards.
Also reseat the ram, and video card.

Here is a link to YOUR MANUAL

Edited by 123Runner, 25 January 2009 - 11:35 AM.

amd64fx

amd64fx

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I would remove the battery but u may need to move a jumper to clear cmos. Refer to the owner manual of the motherboard. I have seen this issue plenty of times and results in a glitch in motherboard. Also could be a bad stick of memory.