Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

40 minutes to boot an XP machine?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply

fermier

fermier

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I was sent over by fenzodahl512 in the Malware forum. He helped me clean my daughter's computer of a nasty trojan.vundo infection, but the machine starts up very slowly.

Here's what happens when you power up:

first the splash screen from the motherboard maker (ASUS P4P800S) comes up and stays on the screen for 4 minutes.

Next, I get a screen asking me to select an operating system. It stays here for 2 minutes. My choices are,
Windows recovery Console, and
Windows XP Home edition
(I should mention that the computer does not respond to any keyboard entry.)

The Windows startup screen comes up for less than 1 minute and then the screen goes black. No cursor.

After 17 minutes, the Windows log-in screen comes up. I enter my login and I get a blank blue screen with a mouse pointer. The computer does not respond to the ENTER key or to any of the mouse buttons.

Finally, after another 17 minutes (is that significant), my windows desktop appears and I can use the machine as usual.

In total, it takes 40 minutes from power-up to my desk top!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Fermier

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Hard drive diagnostic: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
2. Run memtest

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible.

fermier

fermier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello Broni,

Thanks for your help, but I have managed to find the cause of the 40 minute boots on my daughter's computer. When I was attempting to run the hard drive diagnostic that you recommended, I noticed that the little micro-SD flash card adapter that my daughter uses to load music onto her cell phone was plugged in to the slot on her machine and that the light next to it was lit. Both it and the array of memory card slots are black and hard to see unless you are right next to them. When I removed the micro-SD adapter from the slot, the boot up time was reduced to just a couple of minutes! I put the adapter card back in and attempted to boot the machine and it took 40 minutes, again!

So the answer to my problem was to make sure that all plug in SD cards and their adapters are removed from the machine before boot up!

Sorry to have bothered you, but it was following your instructions that led me to discover the problem.

You may close this thread.

Thank you,
Rex Fermier

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
No worries, it's a very good info, and it actually reminded me about very similar situation, I had with my MP3 player. Since usually I have several USB devices connected to my computer, it took me a while to figure it out.
Thanks for posting back :)