Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Won't Boot after installing Printer with USB Connection

• Please log in to reply

ksj845

ksj845

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed a new printer with a USB connection on my Dell Optiplex recently. After installation, Windows XP won't automatically boot. When I turn on the PC the Dell logo comes up and then the screen changes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left. I press F12 and about a minute later the Boot Device Menu appears. There is a list of options listed on the screen. The first option (Normal) is highlighted. I hit the <enter> key and windows will then boot with no problem. If I disconnect the printer's USB connector from the PC before turning on the PC then Windows XP boots up normally as it always had. Does anyone have any idea of how to correct this issue? Thanks!

Advertisements

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
It sounds like your computer may be trying to boot from the printer. To stop this, you need to get into your system bios. When you start your computer there should be a brief period of time that your computer displays keys that do different things. You are looking for the one that allows you into your system bios (this is typically f2, f10, f12, del, or esc). You can also look online for the key to tap by searching on google for "bios keys". This will allow you to look up the correct key based on your computer brand. Once your are in the bios you need to find the boot devices menu by using the arrow keys and the enter key. Make sure that your boot device order has your hard drive first on the list. I you think that you will ever want to boot from a cd then move the cd drive to the first place and the hrad drive to the second place on the list. let me know if this helps.

Tyler

ksj845

ksj845

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Tyler. I went into the system bios as you suggested. I found that the boot sequence is as follows:

1. IDE CD-ROM Device
2. Hard-Disk Drive C
3. Diskette Drive

This appears to be correct so I don't think this is the cause of the issue.

Thanks very much for your reply though! If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks,
Ken J.