Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down randomly.

• Please log in to reply

pp111

pp111

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok, so all of a sudden my computer started shutting off randomly. After much trouble, I finally was able to run CHKDSK through the command console, and that did nothing. I also ran the dell diagnostics console and did a diagnostic on just about everything and that turned up nothing. Any ideas on what it is or what I could do to find out? Also, time between shutdowns vary from seconds after booting to hours.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I just got home, I'll download the fan thing and find those specs for you in a sec but two things I just realized:

When it shuts off, I get a blinking amber light instead of a solid green one on my cpu and the light doesn't go off until I unplug it and leave it unplugged for several seconds or hold the button down for several seconds

I've also detected a pattern of the shutdowns which makes me inclined to think it's the fan or temperature even though the dell diagnostics tool said it was fine. When I first turn on my computer, it usually can go for a few hours, and with each successive shutdown and reboot this time seems to shrink. Sometimes however, it seems to not follow this pattern but more often than not it does.

And by the way thanks for your reply, I'm not sure but maybe this should be moved to hardware?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Don't worry about moving the thread. Board's staff will tale care of it, if necessary.

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
http://img249.images...rtemp125tt1.png
I'm not sure why a fan isn't showing up... the fan isn't coming on that I can tell either... this problem may be already solved.
processor type: Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz
ram: .99 GB in 2 sticks
hard drive: 145 GB total 39.4 GB free space

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

this problem may be already solved.

What happened?

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Shouldn't the fan be showing up under speedfan?

I meant already solved as in, if it's not showing up, then isn't that the problem?

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Temp is at 76 now, I've been reading and apparently dell uses very bad power supplies for most of their models, mine included. The fan is still passing the system diagnostic test and from what I've read the blinking amber light on the front of the machine after it crashes is an indicator of some sort of power problem.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system failures.. the other two are heat (usually
caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...
first...lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest +
here....
the lowdown is here..

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A:
first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:

or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have
to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other
tests

go here and get Everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and
voltages...

Edited by happyrock, 25 January 2009 - 06:33 PM.

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok thank you I am burning memtest now, I'll check back here around 10:30 or so.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its time for dinner and I won't be back online until about 5 AM pacific standard time...

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have no idea what time that is est, but memtest showed no errors. Getting screenshot of temp and voltage readings now...

I'm probably going to bed after this though, so thank you for your help so far, and I'll be back tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Fan not showing may be caused by not existing sensor, bad sensor, or SpeedFan not being able to read it.
In your case, it looks like Speedfan is able to read HD temp only, which at 76C is not good.

Try RightMark CPU Clock Utility (RMClock): http://cpu.rightmark.../download.shtml to see, if it'll give you more readings.

pp111

pp111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
http://img147.images...resttempbf1.png

that's the everest one, not much more information there, I'll try rightmark clock right now.

RMClock is just displaying N/A for core temp.

Edited by pp111, 25 January 2009 - 09:09 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
How old is this computer?
Try one more tool, Motherboard Monitor: http://majorgeeks.co...oad.php?det=311

Also, turn computer off, open the case, get can of compressed air, and give it a good cleaning inside (do NOT use vacuum cleaner!).
With case off, turn it on, and see, if all fans are running.
Get a house fan, and blow it toward the open case. Keep using computer, and see, if it'll shut down again.