I have a usb hdd enclosure that uses a 2 pin 40mm fan. The problem is somehow the fan has become quite loud overtime. Though it has it's moments when it stays quiet for hours, and than out of nowhere it'll start to whirl very loudly. To my surprise I found a brand new 3pin 40mm fan which I had purchased as a replacement for a video card fan years ago, but never used.
So I'm considering three options:
1. Apply oil to the old fan
2. Somehow convert the new 3 pin fan into 2 pins
3. Purchase a new 2 pin 40mm fan for a better price than what's available on ebay! [Jeez they cost close to $20 on there with shipping to Canada]
1. What brand of oil/amount should I apply to the old fan in order to see if it starts working correctly again, and where?
2. Is it possible to convert a 3 pin fan into 2 pins? If so how can I do so?
3. Do you know where I can buy a new 2 pin 40mm fan for a good price with shipping to Canada? [Btw I only use Paypal to shop online]
I can take a picture of the new fan I have in my possession and post it if needed.
Edited by superstar, 22 January 2009 - 10:18 PM.