Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is It Possible To Convert A 3 Pin 40mm Fan Into A 2 Pin Fan?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Good evening,

I have a usb hdd enclosure that uses a 2 pin 40mm fan. The problem is somehow the fan has become quite loud overtime. Though it has it's moments when it stays quiet for hours, and than out of nowhere it'll start to whirl very loudly. To my surprise I found a brand new 3pin 40mm fan which I had purchased as a replacement for a video card fan years ago, but never used.

So I'm considering three options:

1. Apply oil to the old fan

2. Somehow convert the new 3 pin fan into 2 pins

3. Purchase a new 2 pin 40mm fan for a better price than what's available on ebay! [Jeez they cost close to $20 on there with shipping to Canada]

Questions:

1. What brand of oil/amount should I apply to the old fan in order to see if it starts working correctly again, and where?

2. Is it possible to convert a 3 pin fan into 2 pins? If so how can I do so?

3. Do you know where I can buy a new 2 pin 40mm fan for a good price with shipping to Canada? [Btw I only use Paypal to shop online]

Thank You

P.s.
I can take a picture of the new fan I have in my possession and post it if needed.

Edited by superstar, 22 January 2009 - 10:18 PM.

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
UPDATE:

I solved my own problem... I had forgotten about 3 pin to 2 pin adapter cables on the market. But after looking at them clearly I noticed one thing... THE 3RD PIN ISN'T EVEN USED ON THE ADAPTER CABLES AS YOU CAN SEE IN THIS PICTURE:

Posted Image

So it is essentially a "dummy" pin just to clap an actual 3 pin connector head, in order to run the only two used cables [black and red wires], giving it a two pin head. So well yeah, in essence the 3rd pin isn't used, isn't converted, or joined with the black and red wires at all.

So rather than purchasing an adapter cable online, and waiting for it in the mail. I had an epiphany and took the faulty 2 pin 40mm 12volt fan out of my external hdd enclosure, and dismantled the 2 pin plastic white head off the black and red wires. I made sure to mark the position of the wire colors on the plastic white head slot holes before doing so with a red and black permanent pen, so not to confuse myself with my next step. I than grabbed the new [unused] 3 pin 40mm 12 volt fan I had stored away and also dismantled the 3 pin plastic white head off the black, red, and the 3rd yellow extra wire. I simply connected the black and red wires from the new fan onto the old fans 2 pin plastic white head, rolled up the 3rd yellow extra wire to the side [covering the end of it with electrical tape]. I connected the fan back in the external hdd, turned it on, and PRESTO IT WORKS LIKE MAGIC! NO NOISE, NO NEED TO SPEND MONEY.

IT'S A RECESSION EVERYBODY! LOL...

NOT FOR LONG SINCE OBAMA'S IN TOWN. :cool

Also a word of advice to anyone who ever finds this thread through google trying to find a solution to the same problem. Please do not try doing this unless your absolutely sure you can handle this task and are ready to deal with the consequences of ruining your equipment or causing a fire. Also notice the fact that I replaced the fan with one that carries the same voltage. & when you take the white plastic head off you've gotta push the metal connectors down to unlock it, and push them back up before attaching it to a new head otherwise they will not stay in place properly.

BUT UMM... ONE QUESTION. This can't start a fire can it? [Just making sure]

Edited by superstar, 23 January 2009 - 05:15 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
What you did was going to be my suggestion. And usually you do not have to push the clips back up. They are spring loaded (formed), But if you have to push down extra hard to get them out (and sometimes you do) then yes, make sure you can noy pull them out by a slight tug on the wire.

It will not start afire provided the wires are secure as you have done.

Also, nice touch on the warning.