Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell inspiron wont boot

• Please log in to reply

buffallobob

buffallobob

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi i am new here so be gentle with me i have a dell inspiron laptop that was put down on a piece of carpet that had recently had a cup of coffee on it :) it was warm when it was put down on the damp carpet the spillage had been clared up as much as poss so was only damp however when i tried to turn the laptop on all i get is the caps lock flash and the power lights on the r/h side flash for about 30 seconds and then it powers off.
Have i killed it :)
bob

Advertisements

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Can you smell the bottom of it, to see if it smells like coffee has gotten into it? It's possible that if the floor was really damp, one of the fans or even the motherboard could have been shorted.

buffallobob

buffallobob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yes the fan smells burnt so its off to the repair shop i suppose
bob

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Bob,

That doesn't sound good. Make sure to keep in mind that computers (actually, and electronics) and fluids don't mix well... :) (Excluding that batteries usually have some sort of fluid in them, of course)

It's unfortunate that you're off to the repair shop so soon, but with this kind of scenario, a "hands-on" report will give the best information for you. Don't forget to come back here with all your other questions, we always have someone around who's bound to have an answer for you.

Best of luck with it, don't spill coffee on the carpet in the future, and for best health, quit drinking coffee altogether! :)

Cheers

Troy