Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power issues

• Please log in to reply

flyinbronco9

flyinbronco9

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Build:
CM 690 case
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P mobo
Intel 2.4gHz quad-core
4gb ddr2 ram
Sapphire HD4850 video card
dual 640GB HDD
stealth Xstream 500W power supply

I've got everything plugged in, power is getting to the power supply (the blue light on the back is turned on), no lights on the mobo are turned on (don't know if some stay on whether or not the computer is turned on), the 24-pin and 8-pin power cords are plugged in (although i had to get kind of creative with the 8-pin cord...to recept. for it was on the opposite side of the case)...HDD, DVD-R, and external SATA plugs are all in.

What's happening is that I've tried about 3 or 4 different combinations for plugging in the power switch/HDD lights to the mobo and am getting no response when i turn the thing on. my power supply has a 4-pin 12V cord left over...can't find a spot for it to go into.

Question: what's my problem? why won't the thing turn on?

Advertisements

TechSlave

TechSlave

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Are you getting any power when you press the power button?
Seems to me it might be that a your power button, led's, etc may not be installed correctly.

On the bottom right corner of your motherboard is where your power/reset button / led's should be plugged in. There should be a white cap that came with your motherboard that plugs into it.
Make sure you have them set to the right place, also make sure the ground is on the right side when putting them on.

-Tech

Edited by TechSlave, 19 May 2009 - 10:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case witch could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions