Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem and Soundcard

• Please log in to reply

Pelley

Pelley

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have an Acer Aspire 3100 notebook. I bought it used for the kids. Unfortunately for me , I did not receive any software with the laptop. Windows Vista was the original operating system. Now it is running Windows XP which the owner put on there. Th hard drive was formatted before any information was taken off. Does anyone know what type of modem and soundcard could be in this notebook?

Windows XP is not recognizing any modem or soundcard. Also I have to device cd to reinstall the hardware.
I have found a website where I can download the drivers. But I need some help in finding the modem and soundcard.
Even though the system was down graded, everything else works great..

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated...

Have a Nice Day Everyone
Michelle

Advertisements

shinybeast

shinybeast

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello Pelley,

If you go here with Internet Explorer and scroll down near the bottom of the page, it looks like you need the Realtek Audio Driver and Modem driver (see edit at end of post).

Before you do, you should open Device Manager (click start, right-click My Computer, click Properties in the menu. Then click Hardware tab and click Device Manager). Check Device Manager for any other missing drivers (look for yellow question mark with an exclamation point next to any devices). Anything else you need should be on that page I linked to. If you cannot access the internet with the notebook without the drivers, then download the files to another computer and burn them to a CD or put them on a USB stick to transfer them to the Acer laptop.

Once you are able to connect to the internet with the laptop, you should go to Windows Update and check for updates and confirm the copy of XP the previous owner installed is legal. Windows Update may also supply the drivers you need.

Hope this helps,
shinybeast

edit: the link didn't quite work, select notebook and Aspire 3100 from the drop down menus to get the list I refer to above

Edited by shinybeast, 23 January 2009 - 01:10 PM.

Pelley

Pelley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for your help shinybeast. I now have both the modem and soundcard up and running. I also check the Windows Xp and it is legal..

Now can you help me with another problem. When I turn off my laptop. Windows will not shut down. It just says that windows is shutting down. But 30 minutes later it still says the same thing..

Can you help?

Thanks
Michelle

shinybeast

shinybeast

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'll give it a try.

First I need to know if it had this issue before you installed the drivers for the sound card and modem?

Also, what service pack level is installed (click Start, right-click My Computer, and in the General tab it will tell you under "System:")?

Then confirm in Device Manager that there are no unrecognized devices (yellow question mark thing like above).

Pelley

Pelley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Laptop had the shut down problem before I installed the modem and soundcard.

It is running Service pack 1.. I know I need to do some updates.

I have yellow questions marks on a few things in the device manager.
-ethernet controller
-pci device
-pci device

I emailed Acer for their help also. So what ever you have to offer I am willing to try..

Michelle

shinybeast

shinybeast

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
The shut down issue could occur because of the unrecognized devices or it could a welcome screen issue which updating XP should fix. I don't know what the unknown devices are but whatever you need would be at the link from my first post. I would try to get the network adapter recognized and working, then get the notebook connected to a decent connection (NOT dial-up) and go to Windows Update and check for updates and install them. The Realtek LAN adapter near the bottom of the list on the Acer support page would be my best guess as to what you need to do that (do you have a RJ45 (ethernet jack) or RJ11 (telephone/modem jack) or both?). The unknown PCI device could be Cardbus interface but I can't be sure. Acer could tell you more about the computer than I could. Good luck and let me know how it goes. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them.

amd64fx

amd64fx

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Goto acer and download the drivers for the notebook. Yes please do a update to sp2 there was a issue with the sp1 on shutdown issues.