Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dead hard drives?

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
im building a new computer with a new asus mobo, and an old western digital hard drive. i was putting windows 2000 on it(then upgrading to XP) but halfway through the format, it started to go really slow. then, after it, it couldn't copy some file on there right...so, after trying a couple times, i got a extra hard drive out of someone elses computer, and tried, and it formatted till 58%. then it just stopped. is it coincidence, or is something else bad?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I wouldn't suspect 2 bad drives, but then again they are old as you said.
How much ram do you have?
You can test the hard drives thru their diagnostic tools. You need to know the manufacturer and you get their tools (link in signature).

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
thanks, ill try it. but i have about a gig of 800mhz ram, its only one stick, but ive already checked the manual on what slot to put it in...so i just burn these images on a cd, and run it?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
They get burned as a iso file and become bootable.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
yeah, so i would just stick it in, when i would normally put a OS cd in there, right? i dont have to do anything else?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Not knowing what specific model of drive you have, I can't get you to the proper place.
You will have to follow the link.

What you do want is the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic v5.04c for DOS (CD) or the one for floppy if you have a floppy.
You can download the appropriate iso file (which is bootable, BUT, you need to put it on the CD as an iso file.
Use Burvcdcc (from my signature). It is a quick and dirty iso burning program.
Insert the CD in the drive and turn on the computer. The computer bios must be set to boot from cd.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
ok, ill do that. thanks :)

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I feel kinda dumb. i figured out what the problem was. im tryin to put a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit mobo...happy i wasn't anything big though!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Glad you got that figured out. And thanks for letting us know.
Boy were we out in left field on this one.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
haha, yeah...so im hoping for smooth sailing now...this is my first build, and i got to admit, its not what i expected haha...

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You should be able to install 32-bit OS on 64-bit compatible components... I do it all the time.

I'd be tempted to look at the install disc - does it have any scratches on it? Is it the legitimate and original Microsoft version disc?

Troy

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
yeah, but it says in the mobo manual that if I install 2000 on it, it needs to come with the service pack four on it. only problem, is i dont know how to make a boot disc of the 2000 I have, updated to sp4...the upgrade disc to xp is already sp2(which is requried for the mobo), so its fine, i just dont know how to get 2000 on my computer, so i can upgrade to sp4...any suggestions there?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
So if I understand this, you need 2000 with SP4 installed so you can use an upgrade CD dor XP?

Did you try installing XP and see if it asks for a previous version? I know that some will allow that to be done. All the OS wants to know is that you are upgrading. You do not have to actually install.

Of course I am not that familliar with 2000 and a upgrade, but I have done others.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
yeah, but i cant do it from another computer, because then the drivers wouldn't match up.
But I haven't tried it, because i had just figured that you did have to have something to upgrade from, but anything is worth a try at this point...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Please read the following on the upgrade

http://www.softwaret...th-Windows-2000