Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dead hard drives?

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
ok, so what they are saying, is that i should first put in the XP upgrade disc, then it will ask me to insert the 2000 disc? so i dont actually have to install 2000?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thats what it says.

But the following from Microsoft contradicts this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941
Look at method 2.

Welcome to the world of computers.
You are aware that a clean install is better than a upgrade anyways, so if starting with XP and pointing to 2000 works, then it will actually be better than a full install of 2000 and then the upgrade.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
yeah, i get what your saying. thanks :)
i don't have the computer with me, but tomorrow I'll try it, and write how it goes. I hope it works. Just out of curiosity, is it normally this confusing when building a computer?
I mean, don't get me wrong, i love having problems, because i get to learn to fix them, but is it normally this challenging?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's a big and hearty yes!

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
haha, ok, i guess thats better than bein bored lol :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sometimes yes, sometimes no :)

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
ok, i tried it, and it totally worked! :)
although, i must admit, i was expecting it to be alittle bit faster, but i think it just because it hasn't built those temporary files yet...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Glad it worked.
How much ram do you have?
What size are the hard drives?
Are the drives 5400rpm or 7200rpm? Because I just ran in to a 5400rpm drive. Haven't seen 1 of those in a while for a desktop 3 1/2 inch.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
RAM-1024
Hard Drive- 20GB :) i plan to buy a new SATA one soon, where as this one is IDE. I dont know how fast it spins, but its pretty old, so id say 5400...

oh, and if my processor is AMD Atholon 64 x2, when my bios update asks what kind of OS i run, is it WinXP, or WinXP64bit ?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would not update the bios unless there is a specific fix you are trying to accomplish. 1 wrong move and your board is a paper weight.

For the hard drive, if you have the make and model, you can go to the site and do a search. It will give you the info on the drive. I do that numerous times.
5400 spins slower than 7200 (I am sure you are aware of that)

Advertisements

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
yeah, i know. really, i just want to figure out what is making it go soo slow. its goin slower than my other, and its an emachines with half the ram, but 100GB hard drive...

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
this is going to sound dumb, but i forgot, how do you burn recovery discs? like where do you go?