Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

No Power, wont "start"/"post"

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:) First i want to thank everyone that participates with this website. i dont know how i found it a week ago, but it has been extremely helpful. thank you, thank you, thank you.
:) Okay, my computer one day would not turn on. no lights, fans, nada. last software installed six weeks ago Iolo system mechanic, last hardware installed video card four months ago. following previous posts from this website i have; checked switch, slowly pulled/disconected things like sound card, video card, memory basically everything till there was only board and psu. nothing. i was trying to avoid buying psu, pulled couple from other computers i have still nothing. they were smaller psu's, found one used/new online, got it, still nothing. i have been trying to determine if its the cpu, motherboard, psu, what? found a "barebone" stripped case with the same cpu but different board in it. tried my original psu in this other case and the fans turned on, so my psu is okay. i would like to know; how can i check to see if its the motherboard or the cpu? should i put together this other "barebone" case than try my cpu in it? if my cpu is bad will it damage this "barebone" mobo? OR, should i try the "barebone" cpu in my original system? i am worried about damaging one or the other, not really in the postion to purchase a whole lot. Here are the specs on my system;

Intel board D875PBZ, Intel P4 3.0GHz, sys bus 800MHz, 512KB L2-Cache, PGA-478 PKG, Ver 01.
Memory; 2 @ Corsair 1GB = 2 GB total
HD; Seagate Baracuda 80 GB SATA
Pioner DVD/CD writer DVR-2810 SATA
Ide floppy
Antec Case - Antec psu true 430 watt
Diamond Sonic Impact S100 soundcard
ATI Radeon Saphire, HD 3650, 512MB, ddr2, 8 times agp

"Barebone" case
ABIT-IS7 motherboard
P4 3.20GHZ/1M/800 cpu (as on the cpu)
2 @ Kingston KHZ3200A/512R
the "barebone" case i purchase 6 months ago for the case and it didn't work out. After i got home and really inspected it, really didn't think it worked. the motherboard is not mounted properly, missing screws and screw nuts so that the motherboard is somewhat "flimsy" surprised me when i tried my original psu on that mobo that the fans turned on.

the new psu is OCZ 600 watt powerstream.

not sure what to do next without doing any damage. trying to put it back together so i can get my info off the hard drive. I have four/five of them from the past 10 years with family pictures on them where the computer died and i still need to get info, so i have been saving all these computers and hard drives. but that will be for another post/day.

if you need any other info, let me know. all help is greatly appreciated. keep up the awesome job.