Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New hardware detected that I don't have.

• Please log in to reply

Scott321

Scott321

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I turned on my computer and the new hardware detected box came up and installed a hard drive that I don't even have. At the same time it removed the drive letter from a hard drive that I do have and that drive now is listed as unallocated in disk mgt. The drive detected is a WDC WD2500-98MHBO, how can I remove it permanently? Device mgt doesn't offer disable, there is no drive letter, there is no listing in disk mgt. I uninstall it but it is detected and installed with restart.

The HD that I have been using that no longer has a drive letter that is now unallocated, is this drive salvageable?

Thank

Advertisements

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
From what I know about the Manufacturers hard drive numbers... that's a Western Digital 250 GB hard drive that has been "detected." Sounds like the drive that you had before, only something happened to it. You don't happen to know what type of file system was being ran on that drive do you? The drive became corrupted, either due to malware or the drive failing...

Scott321

Scott321

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Update on my situation.

The new hardware found that came up was a WDC WD2500-98MHBO in which is my C:\ drive. I had always thought that I had a Seagate but this is the first computer that I ever had that I didn't build myself and I'm not familiar with the hardware. Why the drive was detected as new hardware is beyond me. I cleaned the reg and ran anti-virus and found no problems. My external HD that lost it's letter and formatting, I used Get Data Back for NTFS recovery software to get all of my files and reformatted the drive, reinstalled my files and all seems fine for now.

Thanks