Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access DVD/RW drive on new Packard Bell computer.

• Please log in to reply

Fox07

Fox07

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
We have bought my son a new computer for gaming but we are having trouble trying to open the drive to put a cd in. It's a Packard Bell IXtreme X9610 that we have just purchased from PC World today. I tried to open the drive by going into Windows media player and requesting it rip a cd hoping that the drive would eject to put the cd in but it just came up with a message saying that a cd drive was needed in order to rip music from cd's. :) I don't know if it's a fault with the machine or something we are doing wrong but the instructions aren't very good and don't seem to relate to the actual machine we have. :)

Has anyone any ideas what could be wrong please? The machine is running Vista.

Edited by Fox07, 23 January 2009 - 03:54 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Run the built-in System Recovery aka Smart Restore on the computer. This'll wipe it and restore it back to how it should have come out of the box.
If this fails, take the machine back to PC World as it may be a hardware issue which is covered under warranty.

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks Neil - we tried that last night but still no joy. :)

Looks like a trip back to PC World and they are out of stock of that particular model too - we had to drive to a store an hour away to get this one. :)

Quackers88

Quackers88

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Go in to My Computer (as was) and right click on the dvd drive and select "eject". There should also be a button on the drive itself (or a pin hole to put something in).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try cdgone here...
nojoy...
Click Start ... Run and type in regedit...click Ok

In the left pane, expand (click the +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE... SYSTEM...CurrentControlSet... then Control... Class and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed...
if so...
Let's remove the filters. this should bring your drives back

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export... Save this to your desktop...name it... filters.old...

Right click on LowerFilters and choose ..Delete...accept the change.

Right click on UpperFilters and choose ..Delete.....accept the change.

Close Registry Editor and reboot. When Windows starts, you should have your drives back
if everthing is now working properly...Right click on the file you saved to the desktop ...filters.old...click on delete...

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for your help Quackers - just tried clicking on all four of the things but it still won't eject. :)

These are what I clicked on. It doesn't actually say DVD drive like my XP one does. :)

Posted Image

We have pressed these buttons too but still won't eject.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

try cdgone here...
nojoy...
Click Start ... Run and type in regedit...click Ok

In the left pane, expand (click the +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE... SYSTEM...CurrentControlSet... then Control... Class and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed...
if so...
Let's remove the filters. this should bring your drives back

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export... Save this to your desktop...name it... filters.old...

Right click on LowerFilters and choose ..Delete...accept the change.

Right click on UpperFilters and choose ..Delete.....accept the change.

Close Registry Editor and reboot. When Windows starts, you should have your drives back
if everthing is now working properly...Right click on the file you saved to the desktop ...filters.old...click on delete...

Thanks I will try that now. :) (son is out at the moment. :) )

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
those instructions are for xp...not vista

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

those instructions are for xp...not vista

Oh right - do you have any for Vista please?

Quackers88

Quackers88

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
If your dvd drive is not appearing in Computer, like yours, you should go to the Device Manager and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark next to its entry. It seems as if your drive is not being recognised. That may be because there is no driver installed or it could be a hardware problem. If your dvd drive is displayed normally in the Device Manager I would try right clicking on it and selecting "uninstall", then reboot the pc. This will let your system re-detect the drive.

Advertisements

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

If your dvd drive is not appearing in Computer, like yours, you should go to the Device Manager and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark next to its entry. It seems as if your drive is not being recognised. That may be because there is no driver installed or it could be a hardware problem. If your dvd drive is displayed normally in the Device Manager I would try right clicking on it and selecting "uninstall", then reboot the pc. This will let your system re-detect the drive.

Right I've just done that and it's a lot different on the Vista than XP - this is the first time I've actually seen a machine with Vista on and it seems to be a totally different layout. :)

This is what it showed..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Quackers88

Quackers88

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Your dvd drive is not shown at all! I think a phone call to the retailer is in order.
Here's mine

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Edited by Quackers88, 24 January 2009 - 12:26 PM.

Quackers88

Quackers88

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I'm just wondering whether you could have a look to make sure the dvd drive is fully pushed home, and that it is actually plugged in to the mother board.

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I think we had better take it to PC World tomorrow because we would have to undo the casing to do that and it would invalidate the guarantee I think wouldn't it? :) It's pretty annoying though that a brand new computer should have this type of fault on it. :)

Thank you so much for all your help. :)

Quackers88

Quackers88

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Certainly if they found out it would invalidate the warranty, yes. And yes, it is a great shame that it should happen in the first place.
You're welcome.
Good luck tomorrow!