Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start Menu Shortcuts Don't Work

• Please log in to reply

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Two days ago I ran the registry cleaner from Advanced System Optimizer. After I ran and deleted the recommended registry keys the recently used program shortcuts do not work. When I click on a program in the recently used programs list nothing happens. I have tried restoring the registry buckup taken by the program and doing a system restore, but neither of these attempts worked. I was wondering if anybody has an idea as to how I would go about fixing this?

All Suggestions Are Appreciated,
Tyler

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Two days ago I ran the registry cleaner from Advanced System Optimizer

Now, you know, right? This is exactly what you get for messing with registry.

Do you have Windows CD?

Is it XP, we're talking about here?

Edited by Broni, 23 January 2009 - 10:36 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Have you tried to do a system restore from a date before you used the registry breaker?
(not a recovery that will wipe out your data, but a restore)

http://www.microsoft...ew_03may19.mspx

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I did try to do a system restore to a date prior to running the registry cleaner and to a point before installing the software, but neither worked. Oh ya, the operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium. The program created a registry backup and a system restore point, but neither of them worked either. I was wondering though, after I tried to restore the registry backup the program said that some files were not restored because they were protected by the system. Does this mean that I could restore the registry files in safemode?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Do you have Vista DVD?
How did you try to restore registry?

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I do have the Vista disk that came with the computer. Now I have tried to restore the registry both in safemode and in the normal boot mode. Is it possible to use a book disk and then restore the registry since the computer says that some of the registry keys can not be restored as a result of windows using them? I can't believe I tried the registry cleaner!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm still not sure, what you mean by restoring registry. What exactly did you do?
If you have genuine Vista DVD, you may run repair installation: http://www.vistax64....tall-vista.html

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
T-man, I am unsure of what you are trying to do.
I know that you have an idea of what you would like to do, and maybe some one has told you to do this or that, but if you follow Broni's exultant advice your issue will be resolved.
I am surprised that the system restore did not work. You can try to use an earlier restore point (you will not loose any data). System restore will restore your registry.
Please follow Broni's advice on doing a Windows repair.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey t-man,

Either I'm seriously confused, or all you need to do is find the original applications that you want and run them. A recently used shortcut is just a simple list of what you've used recently. Any decent temporary file cleaner will delete these lists anyway.

Cheers

Troy

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
My problem is that none of the items in the recently used programs list will start from the recently used programs list. I can go into start menu>All Programs>[program I want] and it will work, but the recently used program list won't. I have tried clearing it and then allowing it to rebuild, but that did not work either.

Thanks,
Tyler

Edited by t-man, 27 January 2009 - 10:24 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Right click the start button and make sure that the boxes are checked stating to show recently used programs on the start menu, and store recently opened items on the start menu and task bar.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If it is checked, then turn them off, reboot, turn them on again, reboot... See if that makes any difference.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP

My problem is that none of the items in the recently used programs list will start from the recently used programs list. I can go into start menu>All Programs>[program I want] and it will work, but the recently used program list won't. I have tried clearing it and then allowing it to rebuild, but that did not work either.

Thanks,
Tyler

Are you trying to use this method as a shortcut to get back to the program?

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Ya, I am just using them as a quick way to open the program. I guess they are not essential, but they are much more convenient than having to go through the start menu to search for the program since I use the same programs all day.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay, try this...

Right-click on the Start Orb, and select Properties.

Make sure both boxes are unchecked in the Privacy box (Store and display...).

There should now not be any programs listed in the Start Menu as "Recently Used".

Now navigate to each program you want to have, right-click on it and select Pin to Start Menu.

It'll stay there for good. :)

Troy