Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting to my server, problem

• Please log in to reply

MysticArcher

MysticArcher

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I am running a server on SUSE Linux and I seem to have run into a problem. When I do: telnet localhost 5000, it works. However when i do telnet [ip] 5000, it seems that it refuses the connection. I am behind a belkin router and i have turned off the firewall and activated DMZ. I have also opened a range of ports for it. Result: Still doesn't work. To give you some background info, i have a few computers on my network using the same external ip, because I believe it's that NAT thing which creates the same external ip for all the computers. I think that it is because of this that is not letting me connect outside to it. Any thoughts?

Thank You.

Edited by MysticArcher, 06 May 2005 - 03:25 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you are trying to connect from outside of your network then the only ip that can be seen is the one used by NAT. therefore if you try to telnet to an internal ip from an external location it wont work. but if you telnet from outside to local host with the port then it is using the translation table to figure out who's port that is.