Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP freezing

• Please log in to reply

Jrt2006

Jrt2006

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
So i posted a problem a few days ago about the network connection disappearing after new hardware is connected or my computer freezes, I installed a different network card and it seemed to have solved the problem.

Now I get random freezes. I've reinstalled XP numerous times, 15...16, maybe 17. Sometimes it works and the laptop wont freeze for days, sometimes it wont freeze for hours, but now today it freezes constantly. It will freese at the XP Welcome screen (the logo and loading bar will be faint and barely visible like it didnt load all the way) or it will log in and while usuing the laptop it will freeze (withing minutes). The only way out of the freeze is to hold power button down for a reset.

Once again, I'm on a Toshiba Satellite M45 S2962....only upgrade to the unit is an addition 512MB RAM..... .99GB is what the system reports having.

I'm assuming this could be a hardware issue, but I'm not sure where to look as far as parts. I'd rather not go out and spend the cost of a new laptop trying to fix the problem, if it could be possibly narrowed down I'd appreciate it.

(If allowed, I'll post a HJT from the laptop, but it will be bare, HD has been formatted with a clean windows install)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download, and install WhoCrashed: http://www.resplende...rashedSetup.exe
Open it, click Analyze button.
WhoCrashed will create report.
Copy, and paste it into your next reply.

Jrt2006

Jrt2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
will reply with report as soon as I can get into computer...thank you!

Jrt2006

Jrt2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
where does the analysis report save? I've run analysis and see where it says

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No crash dumps have been found on your computer

but can't find an actual report

it wasnt requested but here is a HJT report if needed...

Edited by Rorschach112, 24 January 2009 - 09:37 AM.
removed log, it was clean

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Run memtest

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible.

Jrt2006

Jrt2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I had a BSOD incident after my post, I then tried to log back into the computer and run Whocrashed again, when trying to run analysis it states that I do not have the correct Windbg.exe file and asks me to download it (providing link) or point to the folder containing it. During download, and multiple attempts at it, the computer restarts. Would you need this analysis report or should i go ahead and bypass and run the memtest when I'm able to get back in the laptop

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Open Windows Explorer. Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
Zip all .dmp files, and attach the zip file to your next reply. If too big, upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/
Post download link.