Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Upgrade Time

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Alright, here we go...

I have a Pentium 4, 1.8GHz/400MHz/256k, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive and I want to upgrade the CPU on the mobo. I just got the new CPU in the mail and am ready to start. I have never pulled and installed a CPU before, so I'm looking for some good instructions here to make sure I do it correctly.

The new CPU is a Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz HT/533MHz/512k. This is the max CPU my mobo can take. I'm really concerned about doing something foolish while I'm pulling the old CPU and installing the new one. I would like to know what the proper way is to do this project, what tools I will need to do it, and what I need to watch out for so I don't short circuit the whole thing.

I believe I need to get some type of glue or sealant to seat the CPU onto the mobo with. What do you guys recommend?

Also, I've heard that it may be wise to get one of those grounding wristband wires/cables (I don't know what it's called) so that I don't accidentally send any static electricity through the CPU or mobo. Is that a good idea, or am I being too cautious?

Anyway, I look forward to some simple instructions here and doing my first processor upgrade.

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
This is a very wise group of questions.
First, here is a link to an article on installing a P4 processor. http://www.pctechgui...entium4_CPU.htm
UNPLUG THE COMPUTER! It only takes 2 seconds and can save your life as well as your sensitive electronics.
The processor should not need any force, NO FORCE, to go in to the socket! It should fall in on its own.
Pay attention to the corner with no pins, and the corner of the socket with no holes. (this needs no explaination)
Use a small amount of thermal grease between the processor and heat sink. If this gets on the pins your processor may short out.
Do not use force! ZIF stands for zero insertion force-no force!
An antistatic wrist strap is a good idea, but practice resting a bare fore arm on the case and/or touching the case (metal parts) is very good as well.
Read the article twice and/or google "installing P4 processor so you have a good idea of what you are going to do before you open the case.
Take your time! most errors are caused by being in a hurry and over looking details. If you rush yourself you will make an error that will take longer to fix.
Good luck.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Hello,
This is a very wise group of questions.
First, here is a link to an article on installing a P4 processor. http://www.pctechgui...entium4_CPU.htm
UNPLUG THE COMPUTER! It only takes 2 seconds and can save your life as well as your sensitive electronics.
The processor should not need any force, NO FORCE, to go in to the socket! It should fall in on its own.
Pay attention to the corner with no pins, and the corner of the socket with no holes. (this needs no explaination)
Use a small amount of thermal grease between the processor and heat sink. If this gets on the pins your processor may short out.
Do not use force! ZIF stands for zero insertion force-no force!
An antistatic wrist strap is a good idea, but practice resting a bare fore arm on the case and/or touching the case (metal parts) is very good as well.
Read the article twice and/or google "installing P4 processor so you have a good idea of what you are going to do before you open the case.
Take your time! most errors are caused by being in a hurry and over looking details. If you rush yourself you will make an error that will take longer to fix.
Good luck.

Sweet! Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
:) :) :) :)

Got the new CPU installed this evening. Went off without a hitch. What a pleasure it was to do something like that for the first time and have it run so smoothly. I am one happy camper right now.

Thanks for all your instructions. They were a tremendous help.

:)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
gimme some Caffeine. J/K lol

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am glad that everything went well, and that the link and instructions that I posted where of help.
The hardest part of any job is having the confedence to do the job. With enough before hand knowledge you should have little trouble doing any thing.