Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Security Center - Won't Let My Norton Run! Is this Mal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

gretchblair

gretchblair

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I am brand new to to Geeks to Go. I was going to go through the malware suggestions, but thought it might not be a good idea because I don't know if what I have is malware yet. In December I contacted Norton Anti-virus and paid them $99 to remove spyware or a virus. I think I had Trojan Vundo at that time but there were a lot of popups which I'm not experiencing yet this time. Today I all of a sudden am not able to run Norton Antivirus, and it doesn't show up as protecting my computer. However, there is another red x icon on my system tray and when I click it, it brings up a Windows Security Center dialog box, and to me, looks like a fake security center.

FIREWALL is ON
AUTOMATIC UPDATES is ON
VIRUS PROTECTION is OFF and in red, and there is a button at the bottom for Recommendations.

I don't trust this at all, as it looks fake, like they created a Microsoft colored logo to try to fool people into thinking it's a legitimate Windows/Microsft product.

Can anyone confirm if this is fake and how I can remove it so that I'm able to run Norton Antivirus again? When I click on the Norton logo on my desktop, it doesn't do anything.

Please help! Sorry if I'm not providing enough information. I'm not sure what is needed to further determine what I have.

gretchen

Advertisements