Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing files between two home computers

• Please log in to reply

bogged

bogged

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello. My computer skills are limited and I get confused easily...

I have 2 home pc's. Both run winxp home. They both connect into a 4 port asus router/switch. That then connects to an adsl modem.

I would like to be able to access and share files and folders between the two computers Doesn't have to be the whole c:, even if it's just a certain folder that gets shared, as mainly be for music files). Can someone please give me simple step by step instructions to set this up.

I have tried using the xp network setup wizard, but have had no luck with it. (and don't really understand it)

Please help, in simple words. Much thanks to you.

Wayne

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Wayne,

Have you tried following SpaceCowboy's Tutorial? It's pretty much as straight-forward as you can get, filled with diagrams and step-by-step instructions. I suggest you start there, and if you run into any issues, post here and we'll try to walk you through it.

[EDIT] You don't need to do the Physical setup (that should already be complete, in your case) -- scroll down to Post #5 File and Print Share Setup. That's where you can start.
- Dan

Edited by Dan G, 24 January 2009 - 06:13 AM.