Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Frequency out of range' monitor error

• Please log in to reply

Xnplota

Xnplota

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I cant figure out how to get my monitor to go back into freqency

Advertisements

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
It sounds like it might be running a resolution or refresh rate higher than your Monitor can handle. If you reboot your PC into safe mode (keep pressing F8 as your machine boots up and choose Safe Mode), go to Device manager which is in Control Panel -> System and remove the Display Adaptor, restart your machine into normal mode and it will redetect your graphics card and you can change the resolution to something that your monitor can display.

Xnplota

Xnplota

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That didnt work, Still wont let me get into windows xp. Its operating lower then it should. instead of 60-100 its at 24.7

Xnplota

Xnplota

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Bumping this up because I still havnt solved my problem.

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am guessing you can get into Safe Mode with this monitor attached. It might be worthwhile trying the monitor on another machine just to make sure it is working fine.

Xnplota

Xnplota

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried 3 differnt monitors, I can get into safe mode it just still put me into Out of Scan.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you tried three different monitors, am I to assume the all had the same problem? Did these monitors work ok on one system, but not this one? If this is the case, you probably have the video card setting out of whack. You should be able to adjust that in safe mode. If worse came to worse, in safe mode you could remove the video driver in add/remove programs, and probably remove the device in device manager, then re-boot and let windows find it and set it up again.

I had a similar problem on an old pentium I machine but I did get it working again, safe mode gives you default video drivers and settings so try that.

Lambo1

Lambo1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Im having this issue as well....iv tried two different monitors and i get the out of range message...
right now im installing XP and going to try installing 7 over the top via the upgrade...hopefully that will work or else i dunno how it will work on my other PC...
i havnt got the guts to try it on my vista machine! hahaha
ill get back to you on how this goes ..

regards
Jono

EDIT: so i installed it on a laptop...so the screen problem wouldnt be an issue...
the only reasoning i could come up with is that the drivers for your paticular chipset/vid card arent included in the beta of win 7...and that the generic ones dont even suit the combination of card and monitor...apart from that im stumped as i still havnt solved the problem ....

Edited by Lambo1, 31 December 2008 - 01:01 AM.