Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need help

• Please log in to reply

yanks23

yanks23

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hey i am lookin to buy a custom built desktop and dont know what to put in it. I plan on playing games such as wow and civ and need help on what parts i should focus on spending money. My budget is about 500 and i have been building on Cyberpowerpc.com. Im only lookin for a starter pc, something good enough to play games on but will upgrade over time. Im not techsavy at all so any advice will be greatly apprecciated thanks.

Brandon

Edited by yanks23, 24 January 2009 - 11:29 AM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

hey i am lookin to buy a custom built desktop and dont know what to put in it. I plan on play games such as wow and civ and need help on what parts i should focus on spending money. My budget is about 500 to 600 and i have been building on Cyberpowerpc.com. Im not techsavy at all so any advice will be greatly apprecciated thanks.

Brandon

With that budget you are limited to what you can actually get so any kind of Dual core cpu such as an amd X2 or either AN Intel core 2 duo with 2gb ram (4gb preferred) You will want at least an ATI 4670 at Minimum IMO and finally you will want to get a High Quality power supply, NEVER keep the INCLUDED/STANDARD power supply with the case. They do not have a huge selection of power supplies and or do not list specs on ALL of the units. From cyberpower just stay away from the apevia, nzxt, Standard case psu's and NONAME Power supply units that do not specify any name.. ON the mobo's it really does not matter which one you go with here as the company puts it all together for you and tests the pc before shipping it out to you. If something happens then the company should cover it within a certain time frame as they come with a standard limited 3 year warranty.

From searching on the site more today as I do go on cyberpower from time to time and recommend them to some users I concluded that you will probably need to go with an AMD dual core X2 system to get the most parts for your money. If you go the AMD route you will have more money to upgrade the PSU, video card and ram..

If you go the core 2 duo route you will end up getting less hardware such as a SLOWER video card as I do not recommend that. If you had $200-$250 more dollars for the budget I would go core 2 duo though.

Make sure you select an Operating system and DO NOT GIVE IN to the CHEAP priced quad cores because they come standard with everything very Minimal such as cheap psu, cheap/ very slow video card, 2gb of ram, and NO operating system.
SO for example if you selected one of those cheap quad systems for $509 you will end up paying $850-$1000 minimum in the end for upgrading to the proper hardware..

Now if you could come up with more money you have more options..

For $850 you could go Q8200 Quad core with vista home basic + corsair 650 W power supply +4gb ram +ati 4670 video card. The mobo would be the cheapest one available though not the greatest mobo for sure as the price states..

If you are a gamer and want the best SOLID pc for the money on a lower budget get a DUAL core of some type Like I said with 4gb of ram since ddr2 is cheap, GET THE MOST EXPENSIVE VIDEO CARD you can AFFORD as you will want that for gaming, and make sure you get the Corsair 650W power supply as it is the Cheapest QUALITY psu they have.

If you go the AMD dual core you can end up saving money and put that towards a higher end video card for gaming.

Good luck!
:)

Edited by jrm20, 24 January 2009 - 12:35 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I see that you edited your post after I posted mine. Now you have a budget of $500?? You will have to go with the AMD x2 system for sure now..

yanks23

yanks23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thanks for the help and yea i dropped the price but i still have the extra 100 for any recomended uprgrades. thanks again

Brandon