Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting 2 comps to internet with different OS

• Please log in to reply

bunnygab

bunnygab

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, I need a little ;) here. My Husband and I each have our own computers hooked up to the internet through a router on DSL. His computer is running on XP and mine on 2000. His computer can connect to the internet just fine, but mine can not.

Thing is, mine has been connecting for the last few months without a problem. I'm wondering if I can't connect now because we are running 2 different operating systems. :tazz:

I've checked the cables, the connections from the router to the comps and to the DSL box supplied by Verizon and found nothing wrong with the connections as far as what cables go where.

Please ;) if you can.

Thanks

I also put this in the operating systems board

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Thing is, mine has been connecting for the last few months without a problem.

Could you please be a little more specific? Were you both connected through the router (for the last few months) and then it suddenly just stopped working? Or, were you connected to the internet through the router (for the last few months), and then your husband joined the network, and it stopped working? Basically, what I need to know is what you changed/what happened from the time your internet worked, to the time it didn't.
Generally, Windows XP and Windows 2000 are compatible for network purposes. How did you go about setting up the Network? What model of router and/or modem are you using? Do you have any firewall installed? Do you have updated anti-spyware and anti-virus applications? Does your internet work when you plug your network cable directly into the modem? Can you PING your router from the Windows 2000 computer -- Goto Start, Run, type: cmd and press enter. Proceed to type: PING 192.168.1.1
Can you share files between the WinXP computer and the Win2K computer? I have more questions, but I'll wait for you to answer those ones first :tazz:

bunnygab

bunnygab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok... here go the answers... :tazz:

Yes, we were both connected through the router for the last few months and it suddenly stopped working.

I didn't think you needed to network your comps to work on one DSL... I thought you only needed the router.

Our router is netgear 5-port fast ethernet switch. 10/100 Mbps

Our Modem is Westell Wirespeed we got through Verizon.

No firewall intalled.

I thought I had the most updated anti-spyware and anti-virus programs, but I can't connect so I can't be sure I do.

I can not PING my router from my windows 2k comp.

I can not share files between the computers.

bunnygab

bunnygab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I also tried going from just the modem to the comp, but no such luck. I know it's not the cable itself as I used the cable to test between modem and winxp comp as well.

bunnygab

bunnygab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok... now here's a doozy for ya... ;)

I haven't switched cables or anything and now all of a sudden my computer running on win2k is connecting to the internet and my husband's comp running on winxp won't connect.

Too strange... :tazz:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
perhaps your ISP now only allows one computer to connect and does not allow connection sharing in the same household? Since it was working for a long time, then suddenly changed, and now the problem moved from one computer to another....seems a good question to ask the isp.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Verzon lets you connect as many computers you like. I have 3 running on mine.
Here is what I need you to do tell me what lights are on for the dsl modem.
Then what router lights ar on. what ones steady light or blinking.
You can try this go to you network connetions tools and click on repair to see if that fixes it.
:tazz:

bunnygab

bunnygab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
There are 4 lights on the modem, but we've only ever used 3.

USB, Ethernet, Ready and Power. USB we never used. Ethernet blinks but only when it's sending info or recieving. Ready light is steady as is power.

I tried the repair idea at your request but it says to call isp.

zywex

zywex

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I'm with verizon; just out of curiousity have you called netgear yet to make sure the router config is ok? not to mention that the ports; etc are functioning properly?

bunnygab

bunnygab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I know the router config is right b/c I followed the directions perfectly (there's a diagram on the back of the box). I confirmed the configuration online.

On the box that the router came in it says:
*Plug and play installation - connect the power cord, plug in your ethernet cable and you are ready to network.

*Unit is clearly labeled with connection instructions and LED descriptions.

There is more, but I think those answer your question. :tazz:

Edited by bunnygab, 16 May 2005 - 11:40 AM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
The light for the usb should not be lite if your not using it. There is no plug and play with networking. I know that the verizon needs to be set at bridged to run more then one PC. When its not set to bridged you may only connect with one PC.
If you call verzon Tech Support they will check the things for you step by step at no charge here is there number 1-800-567-6789

Edited by tazz1964, 18 May 2005 - 03:48 AM.

bunnygab

bunnygab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Then why has this set up been running fine for months, then all of a sudden would stop on one comp... let alone switch the problem to the other comp?

I'll take your suggestion to call Verizon, which I was going to do today anyway... thanks for the suggestion. :tazz:

The comps aren't networked as far as being able to transfer files from one to the other (not connected to eachother). They are both hooked up to the internet via the router, which I repeat has been working fine... then just stopped.

I've had the problem where both computers have not been able to get online, but that was a verizon mistake.

I'm sorry if I seem a bit agitated, but it's confusing when you reply with sentences that I can't tell where they begin and end. Not trying to be mean... but your last post made absolutely no sense. I had to read your first post on this thread 3 times before I understood what you were talking about. I realize that you are busy and are trying to help, but it's not helping me when I can't understand what exactly you're trying to say.

thanks again on the tip to call verizon,

Edited by bunnygab, 17 May 2005 - 08:59 AM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Sorry for the post being so messed where it was hard to read.
Maybe I should not be posting at 5:00am just after I get up.

bunnygab

bunnygab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can definately understand being tired... LOL

Thanks for taking my comment with a grain of salt... :tazz:

I'll be calling Verizon today, so I'll let you know what they say..