Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get to Amazon.com or email with domain name

• Please log in to reply

pmills1956

pmills1956

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't get to amazon.com or my webmail with either of my browsers from one of my computers, but getting to all other websites seems ok. Also, I can't download e-mail into my clients (Thunderbird or Outlook Express) from my Network Solutions-hosted domain name. Getting e-mail directly from my personal ISP provider works, but the email I need is from the company-name/domain name hosted by Network Solutions. Any ideas?

I ran malware. I have a hijackthis file. I checked and re-installed my internet provider software, my router software, and my browser software. I've tried getting to my e-mail from other computers in my home office (connected to the same ISP), and can only get through from a computer that has an Intel Atom processor. This particular computer I had at a university wireless connection yesterday, and that is when it started to work. After bringing it home, the email client continued to work, but the webmail site did not. I have Windows XP on three computers and Windows Vista on one computer connected to a wireless home network (the amazon.com page connects on three of these computers, but webmail does not work on any of them). I'm running from a DSL connection that is then routed through an Apple Airport Extreme router for wireless connections. I took off all security on the wireless network

Advertisements

pmills1956

pmills1956

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I found the solution to my problem on a different website. If anyone has this problem, try using notepad to open c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts. You might have to change the *.txt file name to "all files" in the scroll bar at the bottom of notepad to see the file "hosts." Open the hosts file and if there is a list of websites listed under 127.0.0.1 localhost, erase them all. These are preventing your browser from seeing the correct IP addresses for those websites.

Then, if you installed "Popular Screensavers," go to control panel and remove all the files associated with that program, including MyWebSearch, FunWebStuff, Search Assistant. If you google "mywebsearch," a number of websites tell you how to remove those from your computer. Apparently, these "tools" allow malware to get through and cause the problems described in this posting.