Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RV Computing

• Please log in to reply

owen7575

owen7575

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a desktop PC with a standard 120 volt power supply. I would like to run this PC in my RV. Since PC's convert thwe standard 120 volts AC into low voltage DC, How do I bypass the 120 input, and run directly off of my RV's 12 volt DC supply?

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You don't, you need to get an inverter that will convert back up to 120 v

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
make sure you get a good quality power inverter if you do it that way. Pay more for a good reliable brand that can output more watts than your computer actually draws.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
The better ones will have built in cooling fans and should have fuses to protect the circuit.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Umm this is not quite true. Check out Carputer (combination of Car and Computer) aka Car PCs power supplies (Carputer is the style not the manufacturer). They are designed to run on dirty car power and convert it to clean power.

http://store.mp3car....upplies_s/2.htm

These are some examples. Keep in mind these tend to max out around 320W of power so they are not for your SLI UBER7334 OMG!!!! Gaming machine with 2 or more graphics cards. These are for more basic computers.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 26 January 2009 - 09:39 PM.