Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

See But Can't Access

• Please log in to reply

llbprayer

llbprayer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have cable modem into DLink wireless router. Desktop (XP SP2) and Laptop (XP) with wireless card. Both Desk and Lap on internet.

They also both "see" each other in workgroup.
Laptop can access everything on desktop.
Desktop can't see Laptop in my network places but it shows up in workgroup.

When I try to access Laptop it says not accessible, no permission, etc...

The firewall is shut off and I don't know what to do. I've had this stupid network working with same hardware before but don't remember what I did.

I've been messing around with this for a couple days. HELP!!!

LB :tazz: ;)

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I am assuming you're running Windows XP, since you did not specify your OS.
Have you run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers?
On your laptop, have you set it up so that it is sharing files? Goto start > run > type: explorer > Click on My Computer > Right Click on D: Drive, select Sharing and Security > tick the box 'Share this folder on the network'.
Are you able to access it now?

llbprayer

llbprayer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running XP on both computers. I have run network setup wizard on both computers. I have setup sharing on all folders & printers I want to share (they all have the little sharing hands.

Like I said, Desktop is sharing but Laptop won't. Can see both Desktop and Laptop in workgroup but when clicking on Laptop I get the message on Desktop "Laptop not accessible"

This is so frustrating.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Have you ensured that all firewalls are disabled on the laptop? This could be stopping you from accessing it. If all firewalls are disabled, then try the following:
Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on one or more computers in the workgroup. To do this, go to properties of Local Area Connection>properties of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)>General> Advanced>WINS, check Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP (If you have a DHCP-assigned IP address, select Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server ).