Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to Reverse Windows Automatic Updates?

• Please log in to reply

Brabus

Brabus

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello
Yesterday I decide to update Windows XP through "Windows Automatic Updates" I'm currently running AVG Version 8.0.176

Every since the update was installed my AVG has detected the following:

Trojan Horse Vundo.DW
Trojan Horse Generic12.BAYH
Trojan Horse SHeur2.MXB
Win32/Heur

I'm going to make a post in the Malware removel for these however my main questions are below.

I've never had any issues in the past however since the Automatic Updates were finalized these showed up. I don't believe I've every updated my Windows since it ran perfectly fine and didn't have any issues.

My main questions:
Is it necessary to have these updates and is there a way to reverse them without reinstalling XP?

Thank you :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You can always remove these updates through the Add/Remove Utility in Control Panel, but the Updates ARE NOT the cause of your malware infection.

Brabus

Brabus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you. I'm going to make a post in the malware section :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. That was going to be my next recommendation. As long as you are getting your updates from the Microsoft site, they are ok. Any time you are connected to the Internet, your computer can be infected anytime in ways you will never know it. Many links you click on prove "drive by" links which are potential malware links. Just watch a PayPal link deliver you to DoubleClick.com so it can drop off a cookie or two before you finally land on the PayPal link you clicked. That's why I totally control my JavaScript and Cookies. Somewhat inconvenient at times, but worth the trouble.