Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pretty big problem

• Please log in to reply

maulingpastry

maulingpastry

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys if someone could help me out plz that would be awesome... well when i downloaded a codec to watch a video i got infected so i scanned my computer with 3 virus programs, spybot, malware bytes, and superfree antispyware, there good and found what i think is everything but when i restarted my computer it popped up for a fraction of a second with a blue screen of death and restarted, i'm using my computer in safe mode and rescanned everything, i tried to run chkdsk because alot of files were corrupt but i have to restart to use it and it doesn't run when i restart my computer probably something to do with safe mode anyways please my dad will flip [bleep] if i can't get this fixed any suggestions?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello maulingpastry....

Have you tried a System Restore from Safe Mode? Restoring to a date before you downloaded the codecs might get you running long enough to pay a visit to our Malware Forum where they can help you find all the nasties you've invited in.

While in Safe Mode, you might also disable the automatic restart so the BSOD will stay on the screen which will allow you to get any error codes or file names that are causing the fault. To do this, right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". In the Properties window, click on the "Advanced" tab, then in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, remove the tick from the box next to "Automatically Restart" and apply the change.

Let me know what you find in Device Manager.

wannabe1

maulingpastry

maulingpastry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hey wannabe thanks for helping well i can't restore because theres no dates anymore... it's running but for some reason there is nothing to restore to and the automatic restart has been off and it still restarts.. this is going to be a project also my recovery from when i start up the computer angel something .. i cannot do a non-destructive system restore because of the new service pack update so i might have to totally wipe my computer should i put this in another part of the forums?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You can remove Service Packs that were installed through Windows Update from "Add or Remove Programs". You' have to have the box next to "Show Updates" checked for the updates to show in the list.

Would that help you run the recovery?

maulingpastry

maulingpastry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
umm actually theres no restore points because of the service pack but friday when im back ill try it thx and more ideas though??