Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just finished a new PC.

• Please log in to reply

VicktheTrader

VicktheTrader

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Initially putting it together, I had a lot of problems with the BIOS. I don't know if you're supposed to do anything with the BIOS before you install the OS, but I just went ahead and loaded up Windows XP Home Edition. It didn't work the first few times, but mysteriously, about the 3rd or 4th time it loaded up without any problems.
Is this going to cause trouble for me in the future? How would I go about figuring out what was up?

Also, I'm using a CORSAIR 650 Watt PSU and there are a number of thick wires I'm not using. Is it okay to leave them stuffed in the case like some kind of jungle vines? My RAM has plastic heat controllers on them, but they are still touching the RAM, and parts of the motherboard. As far as I can see, there are no metal pieces touching, though.

While trying to test out games on it, the computer did shut off unexpectedly. This is a major concern, of course. After running speed fan, I found out the Processor is running hot due to Intel including a cheap fan & heatsink with the Core 2 Duo E8400....I also think the video card or the HD is also running hot, but I can't work the darn program to find out just yet. If anybody has any suggestions as to why the computer is randomly shutting down, I would appreciate it greatly. I have yet to check the voltage from the PSU, but I am also going to figure that out after I learn how to operate SpeedFan.

Edited by VicktheTrader, 24 January 2009 - 06:19 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I prefer Mother board monitor over spped fan. It seems simpler to setup and operate. (in my signature)
It could very well be overheating of the CPU if you know it has a poor heatsink and fan. When the CPU gets to a specific tem, it will shut down to protect itself.

You can also look in the bios for temps.
Is there a fan on the video card?
If so, is it plugged in?

Generally there should be nothing to do in bios at startup of a new computer. Usually everything is default.
You would overclock from there if needed, but that is another story.

VicktheTrader

VicktheTrader

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Unfortunately Motherboard Monitor doesn't recognize my motherboard. I'm using the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P/LGA 775/Intel P45/ATX. I am going to try to see if this Motherboard program will run anyway, and also get different temps from different programs to get consistent temperatures, as well as the BIOS temps.

There is a fan, on the video card and it is running. I'm using the Geforce 9800 GTX+.

I had a few problems with BIOS. The OS wouldn't load, but for some reason it loaded after like the 4th time trying. I think the motherboard might be buggy or something. I'm running into problems like the icons taking a while to appear on the desktop (which might be a HD problem) and USB ports not recognizing peripherals. I have yet to go into the BIOS and check it out, but I'm about to get on that very soon.

I'm going to buy a new heatsink/fan undoubtedly, but do you think I should send this CPU back and get a different one (same model)? The CPU running at 95 degrees whenever I try to do any serious tasks seemes kind of abnormal even with a cheap heatsink and fan.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Everest (in my signature) will also give you temperatures.
Expand computer and look under diode.