Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AIM Video Chat Help

• Please log in to reply

skyrunner79

skyrunner79

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I set up my parents with a Hercules DualPix webcam so that they could video chat with their granddaughter. They already had an AIM screen name; and so we have been attempting to use that software.

We both have AIM 6.8 with Hercules DualPix cameras and Windows XP operating system.

Now the weird problem is that when we start a video chat session, we each receive our own video and sound feed. That is, the picture-in-picture display and the larger display (that should show the other person's video feed) are the same. We tried rebooting the both systems and making sure that no firewall was actively running. I am not sure what else to try. Once, we were able to receive each other's feeds after attempting to connect over and over and over again...

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is and how to potentially fix it?

I have been able to successfully (and easily) video chat using AIM with another person. I only have problems when trying to connect with my parents.

Well, I would appreciate any ideas that you have. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

skyrunner79

skyrunner79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, for any who may be interested... we discovered where the problem was coming from.

Both my parents and I are using the same exact type and model of router (Linksys NR041). For some reason, this is causing problems with our AIM video chat. AIM messaging works fine... heck, even skyfex works fine... but for some reason our video connections just bounce the video and sound data back to the sender when we try to chat with one another.

To fix the problem, I just connect my computer directly to my cable modem for the duration of our chat. Works just fine after that...

Any ideas why this might be?