Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing file ntoskrnl.exe - please assist

• Please log in to reply

jenneedshelp

jenneedshelp

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

I reinstalled Windows on my laptop several weeks ago. I then ended up with a virus which somebody on this site helped me clear out. Now I have come back to my laptop making a clicking sound and giving me this error message: following file is missing or corrupt: <WINDOWS root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe> am I am serious trouble? clicking may indicate my hard drive is starting to fail? How do I fix it?

I hope there is someone out there again who can guide me through this problem. Your help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

A clicking noise is usually from the hard drive. Try to boot form the XP CD and press R at the 1st screen to enter the repair console. If it can find your hard drive it will ask you what windows Installation that you'd like to log onto, (usually #1). It should then ask for an admin password, (just press enter unless you did give the system one when you re-installed. You should get to a DOS like prompt (C:\Windows\System32>) Type CHKDSK /r and press enter.

If the XP CD cannot find your hard drive, well, :) this will confirm that your drive has failed or is failing...

Once a click noise is coming from a drive, it is not normally a good sign.

Good Luck

Edited by Mark D, 25 January 2009 - 05:55 AM.