Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

...everything looks different

• Please log in to reply

jadal74

jadal74

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hallo everybody,

I had a virus problem (so called "filost" pop-ups) which I successfully solved by following the advice of GTG. After rebooting my system I realized that:

- after right clicking my desktop to get the display/properties I cannot see the usual tabs (only a window with the title "display:properties" with options to change the theme of desktop and active windows). The tabs for the screensaver, display resolution and so on are missing.

- my taskbar looks like the one of W2K, without having it changed myself through right click on taskbar properties/startmenu/classical startmenu (sorry if the translation from the greek version of WinXp is not that good...)

- I cannot perform a system restore as there isn't any of the time points which I set myself before performing the virus remove actions.

I tried to solve these problems by running GPEDIT.MSC /USER CONFIG/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display key. On the right-hand pane, I changed all the disabled/enabled items to "not configured". Nothing happened.

I think the problem has something to do with the registry, hasn't it? I'm not aware of the ways to resolve it using the registry though and I would be very gratefull if you could help me.

Thanks very much in advance
Greetings from Greece
jadal74

Advertisements