Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd Harddrive problem

• Please log in to reply

Cortax

Cortax

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OK, I got this odd harddrive problem that started to appear just a few days ago. I have a ex5 300s minime barebone with two harddrives instead of a harddrive and one cd/dvd rom in. My main harddrive is a Sata and my slave harddrive, the one I got problems with, is an IDE harddrive. A few days ago my slave hrd-drive started to behave real odd. I can no longer start up windows with it in, when I have it connected and starts up windows XP everything works fine up to just before the log in screen supposed to appear.

But instead of the blue background with the pictures where I chose who I wanna log in with never comes up. Ordinary I would assume that the compiter froze at ths point if it wherent for the cursor. The thing is that the cursor is visible on the black background on the screen and I and I can move it...but the computer dont want to go any longer so I cant log in or do anything except move the mouse curos around on the black background.

Anyone have any ideas what it can??? I havent installed any new software or har lately so Im prtty confident that neither of them can cause this problem.

System specs
ex5 minime 300s
Windows XP pro
maxtor Sata and Maxtor ide harddrive

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Are you saying then that windows will boot up normally if you disconnect the IDE drive first?

If so, can you boot up fully in safe mode, with the ide drive attached?
Also, what do you use the IDE drive for? -i.e installed software? downloads? pictures etc?