Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor won't always go active during boot.

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I shipped a new computer to a friend a few weeks ago. I can't begin to tell about the nightmares the shipping caused us, but we've seemed to work out all of those kinks and resolved any issues he was having...until now.

He tells me that when he boots the computer, his monitor doesn't always become active. Instead, it sometimes will stay at a yellow light and the screen will read "No Signal". He tried turning the monitor on and off but that didn't help. The only way he can get it to work is by unplugging the DVI cable from the back of the PC and re-attaching it.

Keep in mind, however, that this doesn't always happen. There are times when the computer boots and the monitor somes on. For now, it seems to be happening at random.

I know the PC is booting because when he unpluggs the monitor cable and re-attaches it, he's sitting on his desktop. And I doubt, although it's possible, that there is anything wrong with his monitor because it's relatively new (few months old) and he never had trouble with it on his old computer.

Any ideas on how I should go about diagnosing this problem?

I'll have to find out what the monitor is, but I know the OS is Vista Ultimate and the video card is the new ATI 4870 X2 (by HMI I think).

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would have him look at the video card and try reseating it.

Also, can he try another monitor to eliminate it as a problem. That would tell us and you that it is either monitor or in the computer.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I can have him test the monitor, but I seriously dout that's the problem this time. The monitor was brand new when he bought it, he's only had it for a few months, and these problems didn't arrise until he moved to the new computer.

During shipping, the video card came out of the slot. The plastic clip on the end of the slot broke and the metal tab that screws onto the case bent away because the screws held the top part in place. He removed the screws and physically checked the video card. He didn't see any physical damage so he slid it back into the slot. Then, he bent the metal plate back into place by putting the screwing the two screws back into place.

He was having trouble with DreamScene (who doesn't), but everything else seems fine. He's even watched a full length Blu-Ray movie with no problem.

Hmm, I hope there isn't anything wrong with the video card. I'll ask him to check it again, but I'm sure it's in the slot. He hasn't moved the PC since he last reseated that card.

He may have an old monitor laying around somewhere that he could hook up though so we can rule out the monitor. I'll pass the word and see what he comes up with and will make another post then.

Thanks,

Magus

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

During shipping, the video card came out of the slot. The plastic clip on the end of the slot broke and the metal tab that screws onto the case bent away because the screws held the top part in place. He removed the screws and physically checked the video card. He didn't see any physical damage so he slid it back into the slot. Then, he bent the metal plate back into place by putting the screwing the two screws back into place.

I am concerned about this because this could be abad slot for the card now.
What type of card? and is there another slot to try it in?

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
It's the ATI Radeon 4870 X2. It runs in a PCI-E x16 slot and NO, I he doesn't have another slot to try it in. That motherboard isn't set up for dual cards.

Thanks,

Magus