Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death (Different sort of problem)

• Please log in to reply

tehrooniehMD

tehrooniehMD

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everybody, I have sort of a weird problem going on with a Dell Dimension 2400 Series desktop. I was helping my friend to try and fix his computer that had a number of problems. At first the keyboard and mouse did not work, but when I was able to get the keyboard working to log into windows, I got an error saying that windows was having trouble trying to validate and would automatically restart the computer. Another issue was that the CD-ROM devices on the computer (there are 2 of them) were not being recognized as being connected. There seemed like no solution to fixing this computer, but then I thought about it and decided to take out the hard drive from the Dell and to put it into another computer (a Gateway desktop) which was actually functional, while disconnecting the hard drive from the Gateway. I was able to successfully reformat and reinstall Windows XP Pro on the hard drive. After this was done, I reconnected the hard drive in the Dell. The computer gets past the Dell logo screen, but then goes to the infamous Blue Screen of Death, listing a problem perhaps associated to any new hardware devices or hard drives that may be in error and that they should be disconnected and to try again. Is there any solution to my problem? I was thinking that perhaps there may be an issue related to the BIOS since windows was installed with another computer although it was the same hard drive. Could someone please tell me what I should do? Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you!!

Advertisements

amd64fx

amd64fx

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Haha okay first of all u have to install the windows on the dell laptop. When u formatted the drive on the gateway and installed the Operating system it loads the drivers from the gateway. So when u put the drive back in the dell the drivers are different and it will cause the blue screen because hardware is different. U can try to use a external usb drive to load the os if the drive on the laptop is not working.

tehrooniehMD

tehrooniehMD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
it is a desktop, but its an older model that does not support booting from USB. i was wondering...if i put the hard drive back into the gateway and installed the drivers for the dell onto it and then put the hard drive back into the dell, would i still encounter this problem? any other suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks so much

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Your best bet is to install known working CD/DVD drive.