Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A bit worried.

• Please log in to reply

xrom

xrom

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok so i just ordered my new gaming rig and me being a fool only looked at the reviews for my motherboard on one site, when i looked for a few more reviews i found people have had quite a few problems with it.

Some of the problems are..
  • NB running at 80c when idle.
  • Boards breaking in less than 1 month.
  • Needing to update the BIOS for the more powerful AMD X4 to work.

So my question is, Have any of you guys had/heard of problems with this board?

Specs -

Motherboard - Giga-Byte GA-MA790X-DS4
CPU - AMD Phenom X4 9950 2.6GHz Black Edition Socket
GFX - XFX GTX260 Black Edition 896MB
PSU - Hi-Power Black 900W Modular
Case - Antec 900
RAM - OCZ 8GB
HDD - Segate 500GB SATA

Thanks guys :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Do bear in mind that you very rarely get a balanced view point on anything on the Internet.
You are always going to hear more about the potential problems and actual problems with this, that and the other than you are to find people who sing its praises and claim its better than sliced bread.

Motherboards are mass-produced these days so it's entirely possible to have a bad batch of boards but that doesn't mean you're going to get a bad board. Looked after, a board should last you years. It's not uncommon for BIOSes to need to be flashed to talk to new processors - in a typical situation a board spends more time sitting either in storage or carriage than you spend deciding whether to buy it or not, therefore in that time new processors come out and the boards have to be flashed to talk to those new processors. Not unusual, but if you flash the board with the wrong BIOS, you'll kill it.

xrom

xrom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey, thanks for the reply!

Could you link me any guides on flashing a BIOS?

I've already downloaded the correct update for my board but i have no idea what to do with it.

I also have a AMD Athlon X2 3600+ will that work when i come to flash it?

xrom

xrom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok so due to payment issues my order failed, yay!

Ive now swapped my motherboard for this - ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe 790FX

It talks about crossfire but not SLI, does it support SLI?

My last question is about RAM

8GB of OCZ Gold 800Mhz or 4GB of OCZ Reaper Memory 1066Mhz?