Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Onboard graphics card and new graphics card

• Please log in to reply

0RJ

0RJ

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a motherboard with an onboard HD 3100, it has DVI and VGA. I also have a HD 4830 videocard with 2 DVI. I'm wondering if I can plug a monitor into the HD 3100 VGA and still reviece the full power of my HD 4830. My motherboard supports hybrid crossfire... all I know about hybrid crossfire is that it has to do with sharing GPU's not much else.

ATM i'm using a DVI monitor hooked directly to the videocard. If it's possible to plug a monitor into the onboard graphics while utalizing the graphics card in the pci-e slot would I need to configure it somehow? if so, how?

Edited by 0RJ, 25 January 2009 - 07:18 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depends on the board. Some of them you can use both onboard and a separate card, others will only let you use one or the other.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have a motherboard with an onboard HD 3100, it has DVI and VGA. I also have a HD 4830 videocard with 2 DVI. I'm wondering if I can plug a monitor into the HD 3100 VGA and still reviece the full power of my HD 4830. My motherboard supports hybrid crossfire... all I know about hybrid crossfire is that it has to do with sharing GPU's not much else.

ATM i'm using a DVI monitor hooked directly to the videocard. If it's possible to plug a monitor into the onboard graphics while utalizing the graphics card in the pci-e slot would I need to configure it somehow? if so, how?

Usually you cannot because most of the time you have to disable the onboard video for the Pci express slot video card to properly work.

Look up your mobo's user manual online from the manufacturer. It will more than likely be in a .PDF format.