Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need to buy an external Hard Drive.

• Please log in to reply

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey guys i was looking for an external hard drive i will really appreciate if u guys tell me where can i buy it has to be cheap with a good storage capacity and without noise because many external drivers tend to be noisy by the way i heard about newegg.com and manay others well i hope u guys help me out on this thank u !
have a nice day.

Edited by brady1988, 27 January 2009 - 10:20 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I am now partial to the GMG Metal Gear Box I add my own hard drive. You can get a 500gb for less than $100.00
It is easy to assemble and remove/ install a drive.

Of course you didn't specify ide or sata.

VIEW IT HERE

The Sata one is HERE

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
wow! runner thats awesome an external hard drive with 500gb for only 25 bucks its cheaper and good enough but i have a question do u have another external hard drive with more storage like 750 gb at least for 10 bucks more wich will be 35 bucks or 40 if u want but i need one with more storage and by the way i use a laptop tell me something is that external hard drive for laptops ?
if it is get me another exactly i as said i will really appreciate this man!
THX a lot. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
The case is $25.00
The 500gb drive will be about $80.00
Tigerdirect or Newegg have drives. You can get a 1TB for about $120- 150
You need to decide sata or ide as a drive.
You most likely want USB to the laptop. It will work.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
so why is it so expensive i mean the driver is 25 bucks and the rest of it? TAXES+Delivery is that why this is pretty expensive compare to the driver's price now i think im gonna buy n external drive for less price i saw one it has 1TB and the total is like 137 bucks so i know know i would like u to recommend me something good and not that expensive and remember without noise ^-^ .

thx keep in touch.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
wow wow! look what i found it has up to 1TB http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2780
what u think should i buy it ?/

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You are not understanding this.

What you linked to is just an enclosure. What I linked to is just and enclosure.
You have to add a hard drive to it.

Depending on what hard drive you want to use will depend on the enclosure.
It will also depend on the overall cost of the hard drive.

The enclosures (depending on what you want) can have and ide interface on the inside(or sata). And then use a USB or (if you have it) a firewire.
USB to connect to the laptop or desktop is more the standard.

If you do not want to buy an enclosure and add your own hard drive, you can get an encosure that already has a drive in it (usually more expensive).

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
then im gonna buy this one:
http://www.tigerdire...n...art=y&msg=0
do u have something better than this, i will really appreciate. :) and sorry for the last reply .

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
do what do u think? should i buy that one>(my last post)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
The link goes to an empty shopping cart.

Advertisements

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey im sorry forget about that now look what i found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...-El...:1|294:50

what do u think, should i buy it? i mean its pretty cheap compare to others
now if u wanna check the list where i just found this hard drive check it out here:

http://shop.ebay.com...d...d=1&_sop=12

Now i have a question, this is gonna work with my laptop right? i mean im gonna have to plug the USB into my laptop or a wire so i can transfer my files right? could u explain me how this item works and if this is not for what im asking for, tell me which is it .

Thank u ! i really appreciate ur help man.
have a nice day. :)

Edited by brady1988, 28 January 2009 - 07:31 PM.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
please answer my post :) thx

debo3381

debo3381

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Best bet for HDD is:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136284

Enclosure really doesn't matter as long as it keeps cool and has the connections you want. I use:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817145167

These drives and enclosres require you to plug them into the wall so they are not that portable.

If you want something powered by your computer then you will need a 2.5" drive and the capacities are much lower.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well debo u didnt understand my post im asking about an external hard drive not a hard drive
there is a big different between those so dont get confused i hope runner can answer my question thank u ! guys

debo3381

debo3381

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
No, I actually understood you very well LOL. A external HDD is nothing more than an HDD inside of a enclosure. The first link I gave you was to a HDD and the other to a enclosure. You put the HDD inside the enclosure and you have an external HDD. You do it this way and you know you will be purchasing a high quality HDD and not a piece of crap in a slick case.

I think runner is still banging his head into the desk after trying to help you earlier.

Edited by debo3381, 29 January 2009 - 01:54 PM.