Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with sound on my comp

• Please log in to reply

petitebabe18

petitebabe18

• Pip
  • 7 posts
okay..i'm going nuts trying to fix this problem..i just got a computer that was previously used..and not sure what the guy had installed or uninstalled..anyway..my problem is i get no sound..i was not sure if i even ahd a sound card or how to find out..but after doing so many searches on my comp and going on so many sites..from what i figure,i dont have speaker device drivers..i tried downloading sound cards but cannot for the life of me find where they went..and when i go to where i can adjust the volume (its at "low")..i cant adjust it because its all "gray" and wont allow me to click where it says to adjust..this computer came with no speakers..i have a set that was froma previous comp..so perhaps there is no sound device on here??..i'm not that technologically skilled with comps and dont know what to do...i need step by step easy..lol..directions of what to do from the beginning...how to even see if i even HAVE any sound devices or drivers and if not,how to get them for free..i tried going to my manufacturers site..but that was no help..please help with any suggestions..thanks

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Go Start>Run, type in:
devmgmt.msc
Click OK.
Do you see any yellow "?", or "!" marks there?

2. Download, and install Everest: http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html
Open it, click Computer, then Summary.
In upper menu, go Report>Quick Report-Summary
Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Don't include anything under the line Debug - PCI

3. Do you have Windows XP CD?

petitebabe18

petitebabe18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks BRONI for ur reply..i wanted to ask u before i do anything more...i did the first step..i do not have any yellow marks or "?" or "!"..do i still go ahead and download everest??

petitebabe18

petitebabe18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
oh..and 1 more thing..by windows xp cd..i did not get 1 with this comp..but i have a windows xp upgrade cd..but thats for the home edition..i have pro right now..???

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

i have a windows xp upgrade cd..but thats for the home edition..i have pro right now

Unfortunately, the CD won't do us any good.

Yes, please post Everest log, so we can see what kind of sound device is installed there.

What brand, and model of computer is it?

P. S. In case of someone else's used computer, I always recommend clean Windows reinstall, but since you don't have any CD, we're little bit stuck.

petitebabe18

petitebabe18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i hope i'm giving u the right info u wanted..my comp is an INTEL PENTIUM 3..i'm going to get everest and see what happens..and i'll update u..:).

thanks broni..:) :) ..lol...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

What brand, and model of computer is it?

That would be something like Compaq Presario, Toshiba Satellite, etc....

petitebabe18

petitebabe18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
lol..i guess ur getting the picture (right one at that!!..lol) that i'm not skilled at computer technology!!..lol..hey,,but i'm sure learning a lot with problems with a comp!!..lol..anyway..wwell this is embarassing..i KNEW i might not be giving u exactly what u needed to know..lol..well.broni..how do i found that out??..when i look at my "system" in the control panel..thats what it says..intel pentium 3..how do i find out brand and model..(no sticker at the back).....and also...i already downloaded everest..and boy!!..is that ever great..tells me all about all i have on my comp(not that i know what they all are!!..lol) and shows my motherboard which i've never heard of before until this problem with speakers and sound..the problem is..i woudl love to keep this everest..but it tells me its not free..just a trial..oh well..anyway..now that i have it..what is it i'm supposed to look for??..i checked out where it shows the speaker..and theres a list there..where do u want me to look and look for what?/...thanks ofr ur patience

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
As for your computer brand, look at the front panel. If nothing is there, it may be some custom build. In that case, don't worry about it.

As for Everest 2.2, it's not a trial. It's an older version, and it's totally free.
Look at my reply #2, what to post.

petitebabe18

petitebabe18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
not sure u got my last reply..i posted it but i dont see it here..????...anyway..my front panel says HP CREATIVE 52X.. does that help??..and im attaching the mini summary..hope i did it right and send it right..lol..let me know what u see is the problem with my sound/speaker system and if and how i can fix it..oh,,and about everest..you probably got it a long time ago..cuz i got the "ultimate edition" which apparently IS just a trial and from all the sites i checked that 2.2 version is discontinued...heres the summary

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

cuz i got the "ultimate edition" which apparently IS just a trial and from all the sites i checked that 2.2 version is discontinued

If you'd read carefully my previous replies, you'd go to the link, I posted: http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html, and you'd get free ver. 2.2

I checked your Everest report, and no sound card/chip is listed.
That, most likely, means, the sound chip is dead.
You'll need to buy a sound card.
They're not expensive, basic ones start at about $15.

However, you have to ask yourself, if you want to invest in this machine.
  • It has pretty slow processor - 700MHz
  • It has very little RAM - 256MB. Windows XP would like to have at least 512MB, 1 GB preferable. There are 4 RAM slots, but we'd have to check motherboard manual to see what you can put there.
  • It has pretty poor video card with 8MB of RAM only.

petitebabe18

petitebabe18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i DID read ur post and DID go to the site u suggested..perhaps if YOU had gone to the site u would see for yourself that that version is discontinued..i cant help what i see..and i tried downloading it..woudlnt do it..IT IS DISCONTINUED.. and this comp is not slow..its way better than the 1 i had before...the sound card isnt that important..and i wont be on this site any longer..so dont bother replying..ive deleted my profile and wont get any messages anyway

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hmmm....