Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Flash Drive problem - files disappeared yet still there?

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok, so I used my flash drive the other day (Kingston Data Traveller 32GB) to put some files (mostly music, one movie) onto it and went interstate. Used the drive there, no problems. Copied some more stuff onto it and came back home.

Now when I insert the drive and open up the folders inside, all the files are gone and instead there's this unrecognisable file named UŽUŽ which is in every folder where the files used to be. In properties it reads as being 0kb, yet the 10GB or so of data is still there according to how much data is in use/free.

I've tried browsing the web, I've tried doing error check on the drive, I've tried using the explorer search instead of the usual double click to open a new window, and nothing is working. I can't copy the files off the USB nor can I open them. The drive was formatted using my computer a month ago after it experienced a similar problem and was fine up until now.

I really don't know what to do, has anyone experienced this and is there a solution?

Advertisements

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok, so I've played around trying to get something working, and I tried synching the drive to windows media player (then aborted). Now the folders themselves are gone (still with their original names) and are only 16k files that have no extensions. When I turn "view hidden files " in Windows folder view options, there's one folder named FOUND.000. Inside it has a lot of .CHK files (498 to be exact). All of them have numbers, with generic names:

FILE0000.CHK
FILE0001.CHK
FILE0002.CHK

etc, you get the idea, ranging from 16k up to 808,400kb in size.

I have absolutely no idea what to do and have been searching the net for hours now. Could someone please help me as I really want to access the files on the flash drive. Thanks.

PS: attached is a screen shot of the files in the FOUND.000 folder.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Sorry to hear about the lost files.

All I can help you with right now is this google link to flash drive recovery programs.
I need to leave for work soon or I would try a few.

Some are totally free and some are free to try, but then cost.
My son used a free one, but I can't remember which one. He had good luck with it.
Recovery is not guaranteed at all on stuff like this.

GOOGLE SEARCH

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thanks for that.

I'm still looking to fix the problem, but I think I might have a clue. In a scan using datadoctor (the program kept crashing though) it said I had an error in the partition table. I have little idea what this means, but it could be repairable... yeah?