Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

want pics off my HD please help!

• Please log in to reply

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
:) So, my computer was loading the windows then just shutting down. No error message or anything. Someone said it would be my power supply, so I took one off an old computer and it worked about 10 minutes then shut off.
I have now hooked up the HD on my other computer to try n pull the pics off.
When I go to my computer,click on that drive, I cannot find the picutres!
Can anyone tel me if i'm doing something wrong, and what it is?

Also, I thought there was a way you could choose to boot up w/ the selected drive when you have two in there, is that not right? :)

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

ComputerSponge

ComputerSponge

• Pip
  • 8 posts
You can try booting to it by changing the boot order in the BIOS. Restart your computer and tap F2 as soon as it starts to get into the BIOS

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
okay cool, thanks. im gong to go try and let you know what happens
-------------

Nope, it just keeps booting regulary.

Edited by Browneyedgirl79, 26 January 2009 - 10:04 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Forgive me, but I am missing something here.
I need some clarification so I can better understand.

You have a computer that will not boot. This hard drive is the one you have pictures on that you want?
Is that correct?

What do you mean by :

I have now hooked up the HD on my other computer to try an pull the pics off.

?

The hard drive with the pictures, where is it now?
Did you use it as the main drive in another computer and try to boot from it?
If so, that won't work. If it didn't work in the 1 comp, it won't work in the other.

Do you have a 2nd computer?
If so you can attach the "bad" drive as a slave to the other one.
You may have to confiqure the jumpers on the drives.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I hooked the HD up on a working computer as a second HD. WHen I go to the "my computer" icon, I select " Local Disk D" i'm able to see progams and things like that, but for some reason the pictures i had saved on my desktop under an icon called "Pics" is not in them files anywhere. I even used the search to type in the key word "pic" or "family" things I knew where titled pics, and it found nothing.

What was happening here is this.

I had a computer that would just randomly shut off while you were using it. No error message, nothing. Stays on for about 10 mins then like I said, shuts off. I replaced the power supply w/ another older one, and it still does it. So, since I dont know much about that kinda work, Im just trying to get the pics off that HD so I can just get rid of the computer itself, but id hate to loose them pics they go back as far as 3 years. (i know i should have backed them up)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you kept the pictures on the desktop and if D is the drive that you moved from the broken to the working computer your pictures should be here:

My Computer > D > documents and settings > your user account > desktop. Your pictures folder should be inside Desktop folder. Copy the folder and paste to the working computer.

Regarding your broken computer: If you wish to try and fix it please let us know. There are things that can be done like checking that the computer is not overheating, running a memory test etc.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

If you kept the pictures on the desktop and if D is the drive that you moved from the broken to the working computer your pictures should be here:

My Computer > D > documents and settings > your user account > desktop. Your pictures folder should be inside Desktop folder. Copy the folder and paste to the working computer.

Regarding your broken computer: If you wish to try and fix it please let us know. There are things that can be done like checking that the computer is not overheating, running a memory test etc.

Thanks for your fast reply.

When I go to desktop it does not have folders, just has like programs.

I would like to fix the computer if its saveable. Its not abad machine

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Did you go to the desktop under the "D" drive?

You will not find them on the desktop of the other computer.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please forgive me for asking: did you follow my instructions correctly? What do you find in the Desktop folder? Are there no shortcuts and other icons? Did you have more then one user account on the broken computer? If yes, the pictures may be in the Desktop of another account. Are you sure that D is the disk from the broken computer? It could be a second partition on the hard disk of the working computer.

My impression is, and I may be wrong, that there is nothing wrong with your hard disk and it's only a matter of looking in the right place to find the pictures.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Please forgive me for asking: did you follow my instructions correctly? What do you find in the Desktop folder? Are there no shortcuts and other icons? Did you have more then one user account on the broken computer? If yes, the pictures may be in the Desktop of another account. Are you sure that D is the disk from the broken computer? It could be a second partition on the hard disk of the working computer.

My impression is, and I may be wrong, that there is nothing wrong with your hard disk and it's only a matter of looking in the right place to find the pictures.

Sorry I didnt realize it was two people helping.
Under the desktop folder it is just programs, not folders.

About the part there is nothing wrong w/ the HD... well i'm just hoping/ thinking there is not.
Like I said.. the computer was just shutting down, I put a used power supply in, and it didnt seem to fix it. Thats when I decded to just hurry and get my stuff off the HD. When I go to the D under my computer, I can tell its reading the hd, b/c stuff I use to have downloaded and stuff is showing up, so thats what I dont understand.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There are two options, as far as I can see. Either the pictures were deleted unintentionally or the folder was created or moved to another location. Look in Shared documents and other places. Could you relate to my question about other user accounts? If there are more then one then the pictures could be there.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

There are two options, as far as I can see. Either the pictures were deleted unintentionally or the folder was created or moved to another location. Look in Shared documents and other places. Could you relate to my question about other user accounts? If there are more then one then the pictures could be there.

Yes, there are more than one one sec ill get you ascreen shot.

Posted Image

OK... QUICK UPDATE::
So, I grabbed another power supply off a WORKING computer, just wanted to try one more, so that before I said its "not" the power supply I can at least say I tested it w/ a newer one. except, ... only this time it stayed on for like 30 seconds, (didnt even finish the boot process)!!
I have nooo idea what to do here. I'm more worried about saving my pics then I am about having a working computer or not.

And the embrassing part.....
I have three computers apart and tons of wires and ribbons , now i'm thinking I may never get any of em back together the right way!!! :) This is so stressful.

Thanks for helping... do you have an idea what we can try now?

Edited by Browneyedgirl79, 28 January 2009 - 01:33 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
The only thing at this time is to do a search for them. Do you know the extension they would have been in? such as .jpg, .tif, .bmp, .gif
Those are the most common.

You would do a search and put in *.jpg and search, then *.tif, etc
This would search all the drives and get everything you have.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You look in the wrong user account. In Documents and Settings please search for your pictures in each of the other user accounts. As for the hardware, we will deal with it latter.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

You look in the wrong user account. In Documents and Settings please search for your pictures in each of the other user accounts. As for the hardware, we will deal with it latter.

There is no option for another one, just have to click "all users"