Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

want pics off my HD please help!

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you go to My Documents or to Favorites in "all users", can you find any of your documents (not necessarilly the pictures) or favorites?

Right-click Start and then click Explore. What user accounts can you see under Documents and Settings?

Advertisements

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

When you go to My Documents or to Favorites in "all users", can you find any of your documents (not necessarilly the pictures) or favorites?

Right-click Start and then click Explore. What user accounts can you see under Documents and Settings?

I cant do this yet b/c i've created a moster outta these machines... right now I cant get ANY of them to turn on.. so somewhere between trying the hard drives and the power supplys i have plugged something in the wrong place. :) :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can connect the hard disk with the lost pictures to any working machine. If you don't find other user accounts or if you can't find any of the old data in "all users" then the material is lost, probably because other user accounts were deleted.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

You can connect the hard disk with the lost pictures to any working machine. If you don't find other user accounts or if you can't find any of the old data in "all users" then the material is lost, probably because other user accounts were deleted.

Hey im not sure if this helps or not, but I just started the computer back up and can see that the pics are all there on the desktop under "pics" it wont stay on long enough for me to move them to a jump drive though.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It helps a lot because you know that the material is not lost. You must either repair the computer first or move the hard disk to a working computer and backup to the other computer.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

It helps a lot because you know that the material is not lost. You must either repair the computer first or move the hard disk to a working computer and backup to the other computer.

I wanna repair it but cant afford to at the moment. As far as backing up the pictures...thats my main goal, just cant seem to get them off that darn HD :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you take the hard disk out and attach it to another computer? If that's not an option then I suggest that you approach a decent technician for a price quotation. Tell him that you bring him the disk and all you want is a backup of your pictures. Shouldn't cost much.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Could you take the hard disk out and attach it to another computer? If that's not an option then I suggest that you approach a decent technician for a price quotation. Tell him that you bring him the disk and all you want is a backup of your pictures. Shouldn't cost much.

Remeber I did take it out and try it in another computer, thats the problem.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Ok lets try this again.

Are you absolutely positive that the drive with the pictures on it is actually "D" drive?

Expand the drive under documents and settings (like the screen shot I am showing).
How many users?

Expand each user and then expand the desktop.
You will note that I have 3 users, even though I am the only user.
I have: All users. Logmeinremoteuser, and Paul

[attachment=26875:C_drive_users.jpg]