Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

The Loudspeaker icon mystery?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
My computer suddenly went silent. I checked all mutes, volume settings and the Realtek AC'97 Audio,Audio Codecs etc all working properly.

Then I noticed the loudspeaker icon was no longer showing in the task bar. I went to the 'Sounds and Audio Devices Properties' and saw that the Mute check box was empty so that's OK but the Show loudspeaker icon in the task bar was also unchecked. Ticking that I got the icon back as well as my sound!

If that loudspeaker icon is there or not by one's choice why should that affect the sound system?

Can anyone enlighten me please?

OS XP Home SP2

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No idea... my music plays fine with/without the speaker icon in the Systray.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
My loudspeaker icon disappeared again today! Had to 'add hardware' the Realtek'97 so icon is back again in the taskbar - I wonder how long it will remain there.

What is making it disappear?