Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Installation (And Therefore Computer) Extremely Slow

• Please log in to reply

scryoko

scryoko

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello!

I have a problem with my computer (obviously ^_~) and I'm hoping someone can help me. ^_^ The computer is an HP Pavillion 520c with 200GB of space on my hard drive and 1GB of RAM, its operating system being Windows XP SP2. Well, actually, at the time that the computer was working, it was Windows XP SP3. Er, I'm not sure of the other specs are so I'm sorry if I'm not much help there....

Well, okay. I shall start at the beginning of this sordid tale then. The original problem actually was that unexpectedly (as is almost always the case), the computer did not boot up properly. The computer was working perfectly fine when it was last used so I'm not sure what could have caused the problem. I don't think it was any software issue as I don't remember installing any new software; if I had installed a new software, my bet would be on any "Automatic Windows Update" that was installed.

Anyway, the problem?

When I turned on the computer, right after the HP logo screen appeared, the Windows XP logo screen is supposed to appear. Instead, I get the screen that says, "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully." which lists the different modes I can start Windows with (i.e. Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normally, etc.). It didn't matter which mode I tried (and I tried all of them), but after about 10 seconds of trying to start Windows in the selected mode, it would freeze up and I'd be forced to shut down the computer. When I chose the Safe Mode, it would get to loading the "Mup.sys" and freeze there. At first, I gave it the benefit of the doubt that it was just slow so I let it sit there trying to load. But it was too no avail. After an hour, yep, I only further confirmed that the computer had frozen up.

At this point, I was really only concerned with trying to get my files. After searching online (on another computer, mind), I saw a solution to that where I perform a repair of Windows XP. So that's what I did. The repair, however, was extremely slow (ridiculously slow actually). I have reformatted a computer before so I know that it takes several hours but this... this definitely takes the cake. It took me about a day and a half to repair the Windows XP. And, as expected, the whole computer was just slow-as-a-frickin'-snail slow. I didn't have that much files on that computer (I'd say about 300MB) but that took half a day to transfer onto my portable hard drive. I know that computer isn't the fastest considering how old it is but it was never this ridiculously slow when it was working before.

After I got all of my files, I figured that perhaps a new clean install of Windows XP should do the trick. So that's what I did, but again, to no avail. The installation was still just as slow and afterward, the computer is still god awful slow. Everything about it is slow, booting up, trying to open a program, file, loading, anything.

Does anyone, possibly, know what the problem is? More importantly, does anyone know how to fix this?

Hm... not sure if this is relevant (which I really doubt it is) but I added more RAM several weeks ago. It was originally 512MB and I added another 512MB (which, of course, now it's 1GB). I encountered absolutely no problem with this when I added it, and subsequently, there were no problems either as the computer was perfectly fine for nearly a month. But as it is the most recent hardware added, I wasn't sure if perhaps this little tidbit might help or not.

Thank you very, very much for all of your help! ^__^

Regards,
scryoko

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello scryoko...

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1

scryoko

scryoko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello wannabe1!

At the time I was posting my topic, the computer had been turned off. So I turned it on again, but now it would freeze when it gets to the stage while trying to load the desktop. The only thing that successfully loaded would be the desktop wallpaper. Nothing else would load - and trust me, I left the computer running for half the day, just in case it was being even more especially slow. So, now I cannot access anything. *sigh*

Do you have any ideas of how I might be able to fix this? Thank you very much for your help! ^__^

Regards,
scryoko

Edited by scryoko, 29 January 2009 - 08:59 AM.

ComputerSponge

ComputerSponge

• Pip
  • 8 posts
a reformat would probably fix it. also try taking out the ram that you recently put in. i can't think of any other options you would really have