Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer Speaer Wattage

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I am trying to purchase a set of computer speakers as a gift, and am hoping someone can tell me if 80 Watt RMS computer Speakers would be enough to watch movies on. Are these loud enough for a group setting?
Thank you!

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
80 watt computer speakers? What kind are they? Back quite a few years ago, 80 watts per channel were known as home stereo speakers... they could blow you out of the house!

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
IMO 80 Watts RMS is not enough for a (GROUP) of people environment.

Depends where you are going to set it up and if it is a living room I suggest more than 80w rms...

I might have higher taste and my ears like louder bass and volumes but I suggest something at least 300W rms (this is my opinion though).

I have the logitech z5500 sound system for PC with 505Watts RMS (peak 1010 which is irrelevant, never go by peak by the way) and it sounds pretty good. It is made more for the PC, although you can hook it up to a cable/digital box or Tv with the right adapter.

Also depends if you want BASS or just good clarity and sound quality from the Speakers (Satellites).

If you want BOOM and bass I suggest in a Subwoofer setup of course and you get best results from the sub if you put in in a corner since the vibrations travel throughout the room / walls. It can increase the DB (decibels) by a fair margin. Don't go cheap on a Surround sound setup but you do not have to spend a fortune either. 300W rms with a sub included with the system should be enough. I would not go for the 80w rms lol.