Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

International Rally Championship

• Please log in to reply

stankey

stankey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello! I have try to install and play the old game International Rally Championship. My problem is that the game is for Windows 95 only, and there I haven't been able to install it on the Vista.
I have found a patch for the installation, but I have some problems getting the patch to work. Link to the patch: http://files.filefro...;/fileinfo.html
Here is a selection of the guide to us the patch:

As you cannot install the game using the exe on the CD, you will need
to ensure that the current directory do the following to install the game.

1. unzip the patch to your hard disk eg C:\PATCH
2. open a dos prompt box
3. change directory to the Rally CD eg D:
4. run the new exe eg C:\PATCH\RAL.EXE
5. install the game
NOTE: Immediately after installation the game is run, this will be the
old exe that will stop with the original error message. Click OK and
continue to step 6.
6. copy the new ral.exe over the one just installed
7. run the new exe from the hard disk

Alternatively, another way is to unzip the patch as normal and create
a shortcut to the new exe ensuring that the 'target' is the new exe
and the 'start in' directory points to the Rally Championship CD

NOTE. You will not be able to autorun the Rally CD to run the game.

I have completed the two first steps, but then at step three i [bleep] up. My CD-ROM drive is called E: on my computer, and I have just tried to type E: in the commando prompt, which actually changes it to E:, however I am not sure if that's the right way to do it.
But when I move on to point four, it still says that it can't find the International Rally CD-ROM. I have also tried the alternative method, but it still says that it can't find the International Rally CD-ROM.

Can anyone help me, and what have I done wrong?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you can't install the patch without the gaming being installed first. Secondly, due to the age of the game, it is not vista compatible. There is two things you can try:

1: Disable user account control

2: browse the install cd. Find the install executable. Right click and select "run as administrator".

This is no guarantee that this will work or that you will be happy with the results.