Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows xp help please

• Please log in to reply

bigcazuna

bigcazuna

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have a windows xp and i put a dvd rom into it so i could play some of my games but everytime i open and close the drive the computer freezes and i have to restart it i just dont know what to do its not old and it used to work fine but my computer wasnt working for a while before as everytime i tryed to turen it on the power just cut off please help how can i get it working properly and faster :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First thing to look at is you event viewer. Look there to read any errors. If you do not understand them please post the error with copy and paste here.

Have you tried removing the dvdrom drive in System>device manager, then rebooting the computer and rechecking to see if windows reinstalled the dvdrom drive? If it did not reinstall there is a problem with communications with the dvdrom drive and it probably needs replacing. I have had a power surge kill a dvdrom drive of a customer. They were playing a game off a DVD at the time. After the computer crashed and restarted the dvdrom drive never worked right again.

a good DVD burner is pretty cheap to buy right now at $23 with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827129023

SRX660