Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp service pack 3

• Please log in to reply

boo5790

boo5790

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hey all, this is just a question out of curiosity. i dont know a lot about computers so i just want to find out about the xp service packs. i have windows xp service pack 3 right now and i cannot use windows media player 10 in service pack 3. i have windows media player 11 but i am not fond of it and i have tried some others that i dont like. if i take out media player 11 it goes back to media player 9. i had media player 10 in service pack 2 and i like media player 10. i would not change but my question is is there a whole lot to do to go back to service pack 2? as i said i dont know much about computers so i am just curious.

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
If you wish to uninstall anyupdate or service pack , i recommend for the average user to use add/remove programs , when uninstalling updates be sure that up the top of the screen/window the " Show updates " box is ticked

to uninstall service pack three follow this

Start > control panel > add/remove ( double clicking on with mouse ) , scroll down to " windows XP service pack 3 " and select with mouse , simply click the remove button down the bottom right of that corner when selected with mouse , Follow any prompts as needed

any questions or queries please don't hesitate to ask ( no question is considered stupid/dumb here )

Good luck , and hope all goes well

Anthony19

PS: A system restore point should be created

Edited by Anthony19, 26 January 2009 - 08:15 PM.

boo5790

boo5790

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Anthony19, is that all there is to it. just remove service pack 3 in the add remove? does that remove all the updates for service pack three also? then do i just install service pack 2 and all the updates for it? a computer tech installed windows xp and service pack 3 and made it sound like he did a big thing.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Quote: just remove service pack 3 in the add remove? , Yes...

Quote: does that remove all the updates for service pack three also? , Yes i think it does ( Don't quote me on it though ) , Just go to windows update , and ensure you have all the nessesary updates required... just to make sure :)

Quote: then do i just install service pack 2 and all the updates for it? , If you had windows service pack 2 installed prior to windows service pack 3 you should be rolled back to service pack 2... no further action required

If you wish to check what service pack you are running simply do the following

Right click on " My computer " either via the start menu or if you have a desktop icon named " my computer " either will do the same

then select properties , in the system area it should state on the bottom line what service pack you are currently running

EG: System:

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

version 2002

Service Pack 2

Hope that clears some things up for you :)

Good luck

Anthony19

PS: dont forget to reply back and let us know how it all went

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
boo5790
Please do not create duplicate topic's...

It was out of pure coincidence i managed to stumble upon your other topic , after reading that i realise... you have a fresh install of windows service pack 3 , therefore it will not roll back to service pack 2 ( because it does not exist , if the techniction formatted the drive previously... all data would have been erased...) , if he just upgraded from service pack 2 - service pack 3 you can safely remove the service pack 3 via add/remove ( maybe contact him, and make sure you know what he has done )

therefore , i would recommend ( being its easyer ) to format the harddrive... and do a fresh install of windows service pack 2 ( if you have any valuable data be sure to back it up to an external drive )

you will need , all drivers , the service pack 2 disk , and any other cd's you were given with the computer ( must is internet cd's eg: bigpond setup )

PS: you may be able to use system restore and may be able to go back to when he upgraded... if no restore points exist , he has either removed them or it has been formatted ( or too long ago )

please update on the situation , and have an admin remove/close the old topic... @ http://www.geekstogo...-3-t222028.html

Thank you for your co-operation

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 26 January 2009 - 11:34 PM.

boo5790

boo5790

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi anthony19
Thanks for the info. i think i might i'll just leave sp3 in. I would only be removing it so i would be able to install windows media player 10 again so i dont think i will risk having problems for the sake of a media player. As far as duplicate topic goes only the title is the same, the content is about reinstalling windows xp with sevice pack3 installed. my installation cd is sevice pack 2. the topic was about the reinstallation of windows xp. But if you think i should still ask anadministrator to remove or close the other topic then i will. please advise on how to do that if i need to. thanks

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I've read both topics, and they are different questions, not duplicates - you're fine.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
boo5790 & sari

Sorry for any inconvience...

as for media player... can you download 10 , uninstall 11 ( that will go back to 9 ) , then uninstall 9 and do a fresh install of 10 ???

Might be seccessful then...

or , somone else here may be able to assist you further than i can...

i am not staff here , bare in mind ( only a member like you :) )

Good luck with windows media player 10 , keep us posted how you are going with it

Anthony19

Edit:

PS: you can download genuine media player 10 @ http://www.microsoft...o...47&submit=1
Select download: windows media player

Edited by Anthony19, 28 January 2009 - 01:25 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

boo5790 & sari

Sorry for any inconvience...

as for media player... can you download 10 , uninstall 11 ( that will go back to 9 ) , then uninstall 9 and do a fresh install of 10 ???

Media Player 9 is an integral part of Windows that you cannot uninstall.
You can upgrade it to any later version, and there is no incompatibility between Media Player 10 and Service Pack 3 anyway.
However you cannot install Media Player 10 while you have Media Player 11 installed, you can only have one version installed at any one time.
Note that usage of files from online vendors that use Data Rights Management protection may only be available under Media Player 11.

jravas82

jravas82

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I think Windows Media Player can be uninstalled under the Disk Cleanup tool under Systems Tools located in the Start Program Files....

Edited by jravas82, 27 January 2009 - 04:41 PM.

boo5790

boo5790

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I uninstalled media player 11 and tried to install media player 10 but after it starts installing i get a message saying that media player player 10 cant be installed because of sevice pack three. so i guess i wont be able to get it.

casemonster

casemonster

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I would keep SP23 installed, it provides several security and stability fixes.

sources:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480
http://keznews.com/3..._XP_into_Vista_

and a pdf...
http://download.micr...8... Pack 3.pdf