Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell inspiron 1501 wont boot

• Please log in to reply

boogey

boogey

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok guys I’m really really hoping someone can come through and save me before I go Hulk Smash on my laptop…so I was in another thread getting my laptop worked on because it had been running really slow, lagging, etc. I was at the last little bit of instruction with the person who was helping me. Everything seemed to run fine, laptop was running nice and fast again. He told me to turn off my system restore and restart the laptop. I was supposed to turn the system restore back on after the restart. Ok so here’s the problem, after turning off the system restart my cpu prompted to reboot which I did. After that it started up normally, got to the screen where it shows the WINDOWS XP and its mostly black, but has the little loading bar underneath. After that screen it SHOULD go to the windows welcome screen where I can log in and stuff correct? Instead, my screen just goes entirely black. It’s still illuminated though, so it’s not black as in the power isn’t working, you can still tell that it’s on. But every time I turn my laptop that is as far as I get. I can access my desktop while in safe mode, but ironically I cannot turn system restore back on while in safe mode which I think is the reason for all of this anyway. Does anyone have a clue as to what is wrong?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello boogey...

When you boot to the Advanced Boot Options (where you can select Safe Mode), choose "Last Known Good Configuration" and see if it will boot normally.

wannabe1

boogey

boogey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hey i tried that but it still didn't work bro

boogey

boogey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
anyone else have ideas or am i destined to get a new cup?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay. I apparently didn't get an e-mail notification of your last reply.

As your machine is a brand name computer like Dell, HP, etc...please provide us with the make and model number.

Do you have your XP installation cd?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Never mind...I just have to learn to read topic titles... :)

The Dell disk should contain Recovery Console. Boot to that disk and do the following:

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to start Recovery Console. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter".

When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r) The disk check operation will start.

This will be a very thorough check of the hard drive and the file system...be patient and let it complete. It may appear to hang or even back up a few times...this is normal. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this check...it may take longer in some cases.

Once the check completes and you are back at the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Let your computer attempt to boot normally to Windows.