Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't advance past Windows XP log-on screen

• Please log in to reply

cfthomps

cfthomps

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone here might have some advice for this unusual problem with my home desktop!

I restarted my computer the other day and it loaded up to the Windows Log-on screen. This is very unusual since I've always had it set up to start-up directly to my desktop.

The maddeningly frustrating part is that I can't get past this screen! I click on my profile, it says, "Loading your personal settings...", then IMMEDIATELY changes to "Logging off...", and then "Saving your settings..."

Note that I've never had a password and it doesn't ask for one. It just goes from Loading to Logging off to Saving.

I've tried starting up into Safe Mode which gives me the "Administrator" profile at the Log on screen in addition to my own, but I have the same issue. I also tried the option to revert to the last working configuration with no luck.

My PC is essentially useless at the moment...I'm typing this from my work laptop.

The only two things that I think have changed recently is that I deleted some type of adware file that came up in a virus search and also my friend was messing around with the printer sharing settings trying to get my broken printer to work.

If anybody has any ideas on what might be wrong and/or could help or point me in the right direction, I would GREATLY appreciate it! Please let me know if I could provide more detail.

Thanks for reading,

Chris

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Do you have Windows XP CD?

cfthomps

cfthomps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry for the delayed response...my internet time is pretty limited due to this problem!

I don't have a Windows XP CD...I believe I have a Dell Resource CD with XP on it.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Quote: I deleted some type of adware file that came up in a virus search

the file you deleted may have been in the windows / system...

in deleting the file you have not directly deleted windows itself but certain files needed to load windows correctly

and with the resource cd ... that will do the job :)

Good luck with the problem

Anthony19

PS: When you attempt to boot off the cd , be sure to enter the bios and configure the boot priority to ensure that you are booting from your cd first

here is some more info to help assist you , as i do not know anough about your individual machine

Dell® 400 F3, F1
Dell 4400 F12
Dell Dimension® F2 or DEL
Dell Inspiron® F2
Dell Latitude Fn+F1 (while booted)
Dell Latitude F2 (on boot)
Dell Optiplex DEL
Dell Optiplex F2
Dell Precision™ F2

Edited by Anthony19, 28 January 2009 - 06:08 PM.

cfthomps

cfthomps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My first thought was that deleting that file is what might be causing the problem.

I actually have a whole slew of CDs from Dell and I'm pretty sure I have a recovery disc (I'm not at home currently so I can't check).

I've never used it before though. How do they work? I know that's a total newbie question but I really don't know. Do I just boot up from the disc and the software will guide me through diagnosing the problem and fix it? Or am I looking at reformatting XP and starting over (not ideal but I guess I could handle it if it came to that...I just want to get the darn thing running again!) :)

Thanks for the reply!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Don't use recovery CD, yet. Recovery CD will return the computer to its original state. All your data will be lost.

Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow the steps from here: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp, starting below this picture on page 1:
Posted Image

Edited by Broni, 29 January 2009 - 10:00 AM.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
i agree with Broni , reformat/recover only used as last resort , most computer problems can be fixed without the need to reformat the harddrive

and yes it would be set back to the " Factory " settings... , and yeah all data will be lost... of course :)

although it has not been mentioned about any important data lol , and his computer is rendered useless lol however that is beside the point

Good luck with the problem

Anthony19