Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nothing on my desktop besides my background pic and the mouse pointer

• Please log in to reply

xBPM07x

xBPM07x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Go to the computer we were working with earlier, and run this test. Please don't tell me you have been doing these tests on the computer that is working fine!

Advertisements

jharris

jharris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
no i am doing everything on the laptop, but i dont have her connected to the internet, i am on line on my desktop. the laptop is my mom's computer she is worst than me with technology. how can i get the wireless to work from my desktop connection? or do i need to disconnect my desktop and hook up the modem to my laptop?

Edited by jharris, 26 January 2009 - 10:17 PM.

xBPM07x

xBPM07x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Oh, I see. Thank you for clarifying that. To keep things simple, we will run the tests manually. No need to connect your laptop, that will take more time. Do these steps and report back please:

1. Go back to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"
2. If you don't remember how read above
3. Find the name "Userinit" and make sure it's value is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe," (yes, even the comma)
4. Report that in your next post, as well as the below
5. Navigate yourself to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options", do not not click on it but the + sign next to it
6. If you see "explorer.exe" in the list that comes up after pressing +, delete it by right click it and selecting "Delete"
7. Report back

P.S. If these tests fail, then you can connect the modem and download that file. But that is if you pass these two tests.

Edited by xBPM07x, 26 January 2009 - 10:24 PM.

jharris

jharris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
step 3 above is identical on my laptop, and step 6 i could not find explorer.exe among the list

xBPM07x

xBPM07x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok, before we run another test let us do something simple:

1. Click Start
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click User Accounts
4. Click "Create a new account"
5. Type in the name "Testing"
6. Make it administrator
7. Now restart your computer and try logging in to that newly created account
8. If it works, you can begin copying over your old files to your new account
9. If it does not, then we can continue running more tests (if it does not work please reboot back into safe mode and login to the Administrator account) But just to be sure, let us do this first to save us both some time

Edited by xBPM07x, 26 January 2009 - 10:34 PM.

jharris

jharris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
im trying what you said.. I also noticed that everytime the computer loads up a program always comes on called Stopzilla whats that? is it anything to worry about?

xBPM07x

xBPM07x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Stopzilla is an award winning anti-spyware application, nothing to worry about. Also it is a pop up blocker add-on. To my knowledge, anyways.

jharris

jharris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok its still slowly loading it says its setting up personalized settings for: windows desktop update

xBPM07x

xBPM07x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok just keep me updated, hopefully this account will be fixed and you can just copy over your files and delete the old one.

jharris

jharris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok still saying same thing should it be taking this long? its been about 5 mins or so now and its still saying same thing?

Advertisements

xBPM07x

xBPM07x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Just keep it running, if it passes 10min then report back.

jharris

jharris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
still the same been 12 min now but i can press ctrl alt del and the task manager will open

Edited by jharris, 26 January 2009 - 10:53 PM.

xBPM07x

xBPM07x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Do a hard reboot, by holding down the power button for 8 seconds or until the computer shuts down. Start it back up and try to login to the newly created account again.

jharris

jharris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i did hard reboot, she loaded up to the same thing ...stopzilla is loading (but you cant do anything with it) and setting up personalized settings windows desktop update.. oh wait stopzilla disappeared off screen that never happened b4

xBPM07x

xBPM07x

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok, then the new account is not happening. Please restart and boot into safe mode, and login to the Administrator account again. You can delete the newly created account via the Control Panel/User Account window, because you do not need it. The last thing I can do for you is give you the advice to connect her to a modem, and download that file. Then if that does not work, I am afraid I can not help you. I am truly sorry, but this is out of my league as of now. I would then advise you to follow the Malware Removal Guide here, as a trojan or something similar might be causing all of this. If that does not help then post a HJT log. I wish you the best of luck man, and if you need anything just post here.